Sponsored by:

Transmission Leak – Teardown

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:48 AM
reddswiss
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Leak – Teardown

I took the car in last week to see just where it is leaking and rule out the accumulator and simple stuff. Thoroughly cleaned and run until it started seeping. It turns out that it is the passenger side selector shaft seal.

I can't live with the leak. Estimate to RR trans and repair the leak is CHF 4,800.00. Is there anything I should expect to be worn or in need of repair when torn down? As long as they are in there, I want to cover everything. I don't have any noticeable issues other than the leak.

I'm having Sportec do the work. They are less than two miles from me.

Thanks…
Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Have them look at second gear syncros and related parts. This seems to be the weak link in the Turbo trans. Do you ever experience any pop out of 2nd gear under boost? This is probably the most often reason these trans are removed and repaired.

Can the seal be removed without a teardown?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 AM
reddswiss
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Have them look at second gear syncros and related parts. This seems to be the weak link in the Turbo trans. Do you ever experience any pop out of 2nd gear under boost? This is probably the most often reason these trans are removed and repaired.

Can the seal be removed without a teardown?
No pop out. I know this is an issue. A full teardown is required to replace the seal.

Last edited by reddswiss; 11-19-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: added
Old 11-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by reddswiss
I took the car in last week to see just where it is leaking and rule out the accumulator and simple stuff. Thoroughly cleaned and run until it started seeping. It turns out that it is the passenger side selector shaft seal.

I can't live with the leak. Estimate to RR trans and repair the leak is CHF 4,800.00. Is there anything I should expect to be worn or in need of repair when torn down? As long as they are in there, I want to cover everything. I don't have any noticeable issues other than the leak.

I'm having Sportec do the work. They are less than two miles from me.

Thanks…
If the shop is truely qualified to do the tranny R&R the techs should know what to look for, and that is anything and everything, that might need replacing while the tranny is apart.

All I would suggest is that you make it clear when you drop off the car that you have no objections to the techs being as thorough as they can be in looking at checking for any other potential problems or items of concern.

Now whether you give the go-ahead to replace what they find that's between you and the techs.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Transmission Leak – Teardown