VIN Help. Is it Turbo S, X50?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011 | 10:51 PM
rvidal
AutoX

Default VIN Help. Is it Turbo S, X50?

Hi Guys,
No well know on 996 turbos.
I have a 996 non Turbo. I found a nice Turbo but have some issues that maybe a PPI could clear me out.

Owner claims to be Turbo S "look". I could not tell. The VIN is WPOZZZ99Z2S681419. Anybody who can confirm me extras if any?.

He claimes that changed tires to 235 at front and to 305 at rear. Since then PSM / Airbag lights comes up. I know I need to see codes that will bring computer but as a rough idea...does it look bad?.
I am in Chile and no many places to get a PPI.
Thanks for your help
René
Old 11-15-2011 | 05:03 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

You can't tell any extras from VIN. Option list is on the sticker under the bonnet.

Here is your VIN decoded:
Attached Images  
Old 11-15-2011 | 07:59 AM
rvidal
AutoX

Thanks SimonK,
I opened the bonnet and nothing. Apparently they repainted it...
Any other ideas?.
PSM/Airbag light can be big hole in the pocket?.Cheers
Old 11-15-2011 | 08:24 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

PSM and AIRBAG light would worry me in the context of the missing bonnet sticker and bonnet being repainted. There is a strong probability that the car was in a good wallop whereby airbags deployed. My guess is that PSM and airbag lights are on as airbags are either not there or disconnected. Just a thought, I am not saying this is the case... but I personally would walk away from repainted bonnet, no sticker and airbag PSM warning light on, unless I would have proof of repair. Do have the car thoroughly checked if you intend to buy. There is so many 996tt for sale – its buyer’s market, take your time and get a good one.

Also, another thing; there is no turbo S look. Turbo S is indistinguishable from ordinary turbo but the turbo (S) signature on the rear, yellow callipers (ceramics); the rest, bigger turbos and coolers, you can't see from the outside.
Old 11-15-2011 | 08:38 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

the sticker is also in the owner manual.
Old 11-15-2011 | 12:36 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

235/305 may not be 'matching' tire sizes....what are the rest of the numbers.

Also agree with above posts- buying the car with known issues (ie lights, warnings) with 'estimates' from shops on what it will take to fix it will be foolish.... if you cannot find places in Chile to do PPIs then finding a qualified shop to give you a firm diagnosis & estimate is going to be hard.
Old 11-15-2011 | 05:14 PM
SY6TTX50
Racer

The shop that PPI'd my car called Porsche to confirm it was an X50 package. Maybe try to give Porsche a call...
Old 11-15-2011 | 05:42 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rvidal
Hi Guys,
No well know on 996 turbos.
I have a 996 non Turbo. I found a nice Turbo but have some issues that maybe a PPI could clear me out.

Owner claims to be Turbo S "look". I could not tell. The VIN is WPOZZZ99Z2S681419. Anybody who can confirm me extras if any?.

He claimes that changed tires to 235 at front and to 305 at rear. Since then PSM / Airbag lights comes up. I know I need to see codes that will bring computer but as a rough idea...does it look bad?.
I am in Chile and no many places to get a PPI.
Thanks for your help
René
It had the IX50 powerkit from the factory.

Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2011 | 10:56 PM
rvidal
AutoX

To all,
Thanks for your advices. Therea are not many 996 Turbos to buy in Chile. Actually this is the only one I found in more than a year.
It makes sence that issues might be hidden...that is maybe why the price is not very "high".
So, the risk for pushing to get a decent 996 TT is by putting into the equation price + issues + corrections, etc = great price/996TT?.
I know that maybe I am oppening a pandora box, but also the final mentioned equation could end in my favour. Today owner has no idea what the car is. He received it as a property downpayment deal and need to convert it into cash. So maybe an opportunity for a Porsche fan like me? (996 stock 2002 + 911 stock 1984).
@adam: true, I do not have full numbers. It looks that I did not took very serious the first inspection due to all the lights on, etc. I just saw 305 mm and 19 inches at the back. The question: a bad tire selection can creat a PSM light to come up?.
@Slow: thanks for plotting the extras. 450 Hp then...

Sorry for not having too much information on hand. I will take it to a shop to see what else can come up.
I had a bad impression of the car from the beginning, until I drove it and felt the power it has on it...then I thought: maybe there is an opportunity here....
Thanks to all.
René

Quick Reply: VIN Help. Is it Turbo S, X50?