Sponsored by:

Blackstone Lab results for oil.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:46 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blackstone Lab results for oil.

Given that people judge a book by its cover. People on the forums (here and the other side) perceive I drive really hard. I have a few friends who think that as well. I on the other hand don't think i drive hard but fast and smooth. So after countless drives to my local back roads and 18 track days, 84,000 miles I decided to do an oil lab test as I saw some shiny glittering in the oil canister. I did let the oil go on longer this time around then I typically do. Reason for is, I wanted to see if the oil quality would drop. My car has had oil changes sub 3,000 miles since I have owned it at 20,000 miles. The oil analyst show my hard work in keeping this car well maintain and to the people who say I drive hard, I’ll say the engine doesn’t seem to think so, nor do any mechanical components of the car. Cheers to that.

As for drive train mods: UMW Flash with UMW clutch kit.

Moral of the story: Fast is not always hard.

As she is now : )

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
E78459.pdf (100.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice. Blackstone says the 5w-50 with Enrique is good for 7500....I suspect that is pretty much a good statement about at least that oil in that car. I use the same oil in the same model car, so I feel pretty good now about time to replace the oil...

Jeff
Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

F1Crazy, just keep in mind this is ONLY ONE REPORT. And is now your base line. You don't really know if wear metals are going up or going down, or holding steady. Continue to do your UOA's. Buy in bulk of 6 reports and save a little money. They are $19 each when you do this. I also have Blackstone do UOA on my trans/gear oils.

Here is my most recent report on my 2006 987S. The most recent oil change was Mobil 5W50 just like you. The prior oil changes were Red Line 5W40 (also an excellent oil). But, I think the Mobil 5W50 is slightly better, and easier to purchase (no shipping, I can do local pick ups at Petroliance).
Attached Images
Old 11-12-2011, 12:25 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
F1Crazy, just keep in mind this is ONLY ONE REPORT. And is now your base line. You don't really know if wear metals are going up or going down, or holding steady. Continue to do your UOA's. Buy in bulk of 6 reports and save a little money. They are $19 each when you do this. I also have Blackstone do UOA on my trans/gear oils.

Here is my most recent report on my 2006 987S. The most recent oil change was Mobil 5W50 just like you. The prior oil changes were Red Line 5W40 (also an excellent oil). But, I think the Mobil 5W50 is slightly better, and easier to purchase (no shipping, I can do local pick ups at Petroliance).
Interesting report- check out how much more zinc and phosphorous the Redline has...
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Less iron by a lot...perhaps less zinc and phosphorous, but if the engine is not wearing as much....sold.

JB
Old 11-12-2011, 01:00 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Less iron by a lot...perhaps less zinc and phosphorous, but if the engine is not wearing as much....sold.

JB
The last Redline listed Iron at 8, 5w50 is at 7...
Old 11-13-2011, 01:00 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULUNM
The last Redline listed Iron at 8, 5w50 is at 7...
Correct, and you can see how an engine is still 'breaking-in" between the mid 20,000 miles and mid 30,000 mile marks, and wear metals continue to drop.

Quick Reply: Blackstone Lab results for oil.