Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:09 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stripping powder coat from turbo twist wheels

Hello,

I bought a pair of wheels for track use that had pretty ugly paint. My other wheels are stripped and buffed. Paint stripper took off the top layers, but hasn't done much for the powder coating. Anyone have experience stripping the rest?

I've read some conflicting stories about various chemicals like aircraft stripper, but I'm looking for people with experience doing this.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 10-04-2011, 09:24 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might need to have them sand blasted. That's the only way I know of to remove powder coating.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Blasting won't do a good job on the wheels, especially the factory paint layer. I have had several sets powdercoated and the local guy we use sends them to a chemical stripper. They get dipped and cleaned. Leaves a smooth and clean surface for the new PC.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay. I've never had wheels done. Just the gate across my driveway. I guess it was too big to dip.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:39 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Any idea what chemical is used? Large metal coatings company here that does all types of electrostatic (powder) finishes told me they only thing they know of is burning it off in a high temp oven. This can adversly affect the heat treating and strength of certain metals.

I get asked often about the PC removal as I've been using the process since the mid '80s.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 04:04 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I used chemical dip on my wheels (my previous car) I ended up with lots of little pits (0.3mm deep) on the wheels from where the brake dust settled - some chemical reaction which ate away into my wheels. It was a disaster.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:36 AM
PowderCoat
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact Kolene Corporation and ask them about their Recover Product. It will take the powder coat off easily. Talk to Tom Strickland
Old 10-09-2011, 10:45 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PowderCoat
Contact Kolene Corporation and ask them about their Recover Product. It will take the powder coat off easily. Talk to Tom Strickland
Well done. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, I have the wheels stripped now. I called Kolene, as PowderCoat suggested. They do a chemical dip at 300 F, and I would have had to ship the wheels to and from Detroit. Didn't like that option.

I found a place closer to home that uses a plastic bead blast. $40/wheel. The results were quite satisfactory - see photo below. I would like them buffed out, which will take some hand work, but they are definitely ready to be painted as they are if anyone wanted to do that. I'd certainly recommend this approach.

Jon
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
pop.tremuloides (06-30-2023)
Old 09-22-2019, 08:50 PM
jdh-oski
Cruisin'

Hey I know this is old thread but I have some turbo twists that are black and want to return to stock color

How did this hold up over time?
Would you recommend the bead blast?
When blasted is it back to stock color and I could just do a clear powder coat or do I need to pick a silver one?

What city was your vendor in out of curiosity?
Thanks
Old 09-22-2019, 09:10 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jdh-oski
Hey I know this is old thread but I have some turbo twists that are black and want to return to stock color

How did this hold up over time?
Would you recommend the bead blast?
When blasted is it back to stock color and I could just do a clear powder coat or do I need to pick a silver one?

What city was your vendor in out of curiosity?
Thanks
I'm doing the same thing at the moment, my local powdercoater did not reccomend sand blasting, they said they will chemically strip them.
As far as the colour goes they were not able to match the metallic silver porsche colour but found a silver that looks exactly the same and will require a clear coat to make them shine. I'm getting mine done next week.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:54 PM
jdh-oski
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Dingo
I'm doing the same thing at the moment, my local powdercoater did not reccomend sand blasting, they said they will chemically strip them.
As far as the colour goes they were not able to match the metallic silver porsche colour but found a silver that looks exactly the same and will require a clear coat to make them shine. I'm getting mine done next week.

Cool! Let me know how it goes. You're not in the SF Bay Area by chance? if you are, let me know where you're getting it done!
Old 09-23-2019, 03:03 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by jdh-oski
Cool! Let me know how it goes. You're not in the SF Bay Area by chance? if you are, let me know where you're getting it done!
Will do, I actually made a few further calls today and found a place that refinishes wheels by spraying them and can colour match for roughly the same price so I'll be going down that route now.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:53 PM
pancing
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo
Get a garbage bag, get some industrial paint stripper, use a chip brush to brush on the paint stripper on the wheel cover with garbage bag.
Clean it off, scrape/sand or repeat stripping process.
get excess stripper off with degreaser or ISP 95%
Clean with Trisodium phosphate and HOT water, distilled if you can.
Fill rashes with body filler or epoxy.
Sand with 100.
Tack everything up with tack cloth.
Follow directions on can with product below, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY, esp the flash time and don't rush.
2 coats of primer need 2 Coats of silver paint and 2-3 coats of gloss lacquer.
If you do this slowly and correctly you wont have to correct with sand paper and polishing.

Make sure you're inside with low humidity with garage door cracked.
WEAR PPE (P100 RESPIRATOR, NOT MASK IS A MUST) Full mask if you can, this is some nasty, nasty stuff.
Wear gloves, this stuff is nasty, Cleans with gasoline.

Wurth, has the exact silver that comes on our cars. Get wurth etch primer, GERMAN Wheel silver and wurth GLOSS LACQUER.
https://www.autogeek.net/german-whee...ation-kit.html get the 3 cans i mentioned in this kit.
Takes about 2 days to do all 4 wheels.
1 day for stripping/prep
1 day for paint/clear

Quick Reply: Stripping powder coat from turbo twist wheels