Tiptronic Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Tiptronic Thoughts

Love it, hate it ,modified it ? Tough resale? Affect on price?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned two: A 986 boxster and a 987 cayman. Porsche has been using the tiptronic transmission in its road cars since 1990. I think it has a lot of convenience to it--I drive mine in auto alot. The first gear in my '89 911 manual is like first gear in the other two cars--short. So the tip always starts in second gear--generally for fuel economy, and also because very few people are doing time trials from stop light to stop light. There are numerous people that will tell you not to buy a tip, but the market is softer for them and in that regard you might have a easier time getting a deal and a harder time selling one.
Buy what you are most comfortable with and fits your needs. I do a lot of hwy driving, and I am no less happy with my tips than I am my manual car. City driving would only renforce this feeling.
You can also rest assured that you will never replace a clutch, or blow an engine due to a missed shift--the tiptronic is programmed to only allow you a margin of error in gear selection before it self corrects to the correct gear.
This is all rather subjective--but you also have to consider that porsche has also developed the PDK in addition to the tiptronic to satisfy both manual lovers and auto lovers--neither of course are satisfied, but what an amazing gearbox! The PDK is faster in 99% of drivers hands. And, in my opinion is the best of the three options.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 AM
White Trash With Cash
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought one because i am too lazy to shift all the time. my boxster was a stick and i hated getting stuck in traffic with it- to the point i wanted the tip instead
Old 08-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

You need a avitar and it has to be good with that user name.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:02 PM
03911TT
Instructor

I love my Tiptronic! I feel like it gives me the flexiblity to have it "both ways" to some degree. I drive alot in heavy stop and go traffic and would not enjoy the constant clutch action. Also as others have said, a tiptronic minimizes some of the used car purchaser worries of missed shift overrevs and clutch replacements. Maybe not for everyone, but the tiptronic was PERFECT for me!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool
Old 08-07-2011, 06:40 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it as well. Do a lot of driving in Atlanta traffic and my clutch knee can't handle it anymore. If I had a dedicated track car...manual, no argument.

My only gripe is you have to look at the instrument cluster to see what gear you are in. You might think you are in 4th and actually be in 3rd, or 5th...but you can't feel where the lever is or mentally keep track of the car changing gears since it can go from 5th to 3rd if it needs to.

Besides that one gripe...you can manipulate the gearing simply by pressing the foot. At 102% throttle application - you tell the ECU that it's "go time". It will change that car from a puppy to a angry shark in half of a second. Depending on where the throttle stays after that - it stays in a "Racing" mode or if you let off for a while - goes back to a civilized tamer setting.

WHen I want to pass and don't want to "wait" for the car to figure out...I just flick my thumb down twice while punching it...and away i go. No need to switch it to "M" to actually use manual. It will switch back to automatic after a certain amount of time.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:00 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Originally Posted by cannon1000
No need to switch it to "M" to actually use manual. It will switch back to automatic after a certain amount of time.
8 Seconds
Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Tough to modify due to built-in safe guards, but tiptronic means never having to say 'money shift'.

BD
Old 08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really enjoy mine at the track, it is cheating but due to ankle issues toe heeling is a problem now. I had to switch to a paddle wheel as the buttons are very uncomfortable and in very sharp turns or in autocross they can get shifted inadvertantly. I shift manually or let the transmission do it but it depends on the track. The car is basically stock but I updated the rotors to Girodisc to get more stopping power and rotors that don't keep cracking.

I probably use up my brakes on the track a bit more as there is no engine braking but it is heathier for the engine not to be taking on some of the stopping duties. I did have to change my transmission controller after initially driving it on the track due to the car getting confused afterwards and didn't like driving at 2200 RPM. There is a technical buliting about this for the earlier 996tts, mine is a 2001. After the swap it works even better. I just wish it rev matched on down shifts like my wife's Subaru but at this price point you can't have everything. The PDK is the hot ticket and will be my next purchase.

Tytus
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I love mine as well and it works great at the track. I can downshift and threshold brake much faster and later into corners. It is not PDK but it works, a PDK will be in my next Porsche.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tytus
I probably use up my brakes on the track a bit more as there is no engine braking but it is heathier for the engine not to be taking on some of the stopping duties. I did have to change my transmission controller after initially driving it on the track due to the car getting confused afterwards and didn't like driving at 2200 RPM. There is a technical buliting about this for the earlier 996tts, mine is a 2001. After the swap it works even better. I just wish it rev matched on down shifts like my wife's Subaru but at this price point you can't have everything. The PDK is the hot ticket and will be my next purchase.

Tytus
Where did you get your paddle shifters/wheel?

Do you have the Tech Service bulletin? Can any indy do the swap or only a dealer?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:51 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my paddle shift steering wheel for 996 TT from Gerd Carnewal in Belgium. You can google "Carnewal" I bought the Carbon/leather, approx 330mm. The carbon is exact match for the old wheel (which was Carbon) and the dash trim. The wheel included the whole airbag etc. and the piece to adapt the wheel to the TT. Price for whole thing was about Euro 2,000.

I had the installation done by my "indie" and it took about an hour or little over.

Gerd gives fantastic service and is quick to respond to emails.

John in Vancouver
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 PM
bux996tt
Intermediate

I am very happy with mine. Maybe not as fast as the 6 speed, but plenty of fun.

PS-I see you are local.

Last edited by bux996tt; 08-08-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Adding more
Old 08-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

DHS 1981 now live near Cemetary and Dublin Rd.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Thoughts