Sponsored by:

Oil Galley Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011 | 05:19 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Default Oil Galley Plugs

Hey gang,
I'm working to fix a 2003 996TT that is leaking from the oil galley plugs. There are two "freeze plugs" that are there on the block that are leaking, and we've removed the plugs for replacement.

Unfortunately, the plugs are on a 4 week backorder from Porsche (part number 911 101 185 01), so the car is sitting engineless.

Anybody had these leak before? Seems like an odd spot to spring a leak in a pressed in area. They are under the tape on the picture here.

Old 08-03-2011 | 06:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Hey gang,
I'm working to fix a 2003 996TT that is leaking from the oil galley plugs. There are two "freeze plugs" that are there on the block that are leaking, and we've removed the plugs for replacement.

Unfortunately, the plugs are on a 4 week backorder from Porsche (part number 911 101 185 01), so the car is sitting engineless.

Anybody had these leak before? Seems like an odd spot to spring a leak in a pressed in area. They are under the tape on the picture here.

The pic is not visible to me.

My Turbo has not developed a leak at these plugs.

But what I have done with other engines whenever possible is to remove the plugs and tap the hole with a plug tap of the right size and install a tapered/threaded pipe plug using the appropriate sealer on the threads. (Thread tape IIRC.)

While the press in (more like hammer in) freeze plugs work/seal doing the plug tap upgrade eliminates one possible leak source.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-03-2011 | 06:24 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
The pic is not visible to me.

My Turbo has not developed a leak at these plugs.

But what I have done with other engines whenever possible is to remove the plugs and tap the hole with a plug tap of the right size and install a tapered/threaded pipe plug using the appropriate sealer on the threads. (Thread tape IIRC.)

While the press in (more like hammer in) freeze plugs work/seal doing the plug tap upgrade eliminates one possible leak source.

Sincerely,

Macster.
In a $2k car, I wouldn't hesitate to do that, but I have a major concerns about tapping threads into an oil port on this car. Seems like lots of room for contaminants

On the flip side, it appears that M22 freeze plugs are the same size as these (23MM), just need to confirm that thinking and try to find something that works.
Old 08-03-2011 | 06:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by CincyScott
In a $2k car, I wouldn't hesitate to do that, but I have a major concerns about tapping threads into an oil port on this car. Seems like lots of room for contaminants

On the flip side, it appears that M22 freeze plugs are the same size as these (23MM), just need to confirm that thinking and try to find something that works.
For some reason I assumed the engine was out of the car and the engine at least partially stripped down so this would not be a real concern. Of course the block or wherever the tapping took place would have to be cleaned.

Using a heavy/thick grease on the tap catches the chips though you have to back the tap out and clean it every so often and apply fresh/clean grease. As an added safety precaution you can rig up an air fitting/adapter at the oil tank or soem other opening into the engine crankcase (with the oil first drained) and connect a low pressure (1 bar or so) compressed air supply to the adapter and this air would blow any loose chips out the hole. Or have a buddy with a shop vac nozzle handy to suck out the chips from the tapping operation.

I'm not up on freeze plug sizes/labeling but an M22 and an M23 would at least on the surface to be 1mm different in size.

I found a web site:

http://www.pointe-products.com/itemc...-(Freeze-Plugs)

that lists plugs and while there's an M22 listed there's no M23.

It wouldn't surprise me that Porsche opted to use some 'odd' size plug. It might not be because it wanted something bigger than an M22 but M24 was too big and M22 too small while M23 was just right.

For a source of freeze plugs in your area check out foreign or import car parts stores. If anyone carries an M23 plug or can possibly tell you for sure if an M22 works when an M23 is called for...

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Oil Galley Plugs