Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
That can be said for stock as well.
Of course, but depending on the power added through the tune, the way the car is driven becomes more of a factor. An owner can easily toast his clutch with stock power, but it becomes much easier to do when the power goes up. It's also easier to break rear wheel traction with higher power, and depending on how a driver handles that situation, there is added risk to the engine.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
avader906
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really depends on the tune. Not everyone can do it properly and some who've done it for other makes (say audi) wont have the correct equipment (engine dyno) to develop it for another make. Usually higher boost will result in more mechanical stress. Meaning you have to shorten maintenance period (plugs (10k miles), inspect coils for cracks, inspect exhaust manifolds, throw-away and replace your panel filter, clean MAF, change transmission (10k miles) and engine oil (3k miles)). 996s already showing some of wear even in stock for waterpump, pulleys/bearings, cracked exhausts etc. DME/ECU porsche uses is very flexible - but you must make sure that saveguards from stock programming have not been disabled. Other than normal accelerated wear you coudl sleep no problem - no hard limits like on Cup cars for rebuild intervals (50 hours engine for instance). Make sure that your tuner has first-hand experience in maintenance of racing porsches and/or is retailer of someone who does it professionally (Cargraphic/RS Tuning here in Europe for instance).

Last edited by avader906; 07-18-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Having done it twice (imagine auto/fabspeed, then UMW/Europipe) on the same 996ttX50, reliability is not an issue, but the difference between the two is so striking that I cannot imagine why anybody would use anything other than UMW's product. If you are thinking about this, do yourself a favor which willsave money, time, and anguish, and just call Kevin. Lot's of people promise, but Kevin delivers. The end result is so much better, you wonder why the factory didn't do this the first time around. If someone said, "this is from the factory", you wouldn't doubt it, unless yo had driven a stock one first. (my conclusion is that the factory tune leaves so much room for improvement, they can offer upgrades at no cost to them for years to come). The UMW tune says a great deal for Kevin and much less for Porsche. AS
Old 08-01-2011, 04:55 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Lots of people recommend Kevins tune. However, I am located in Finland....
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guybrush Wilkinson
Lots of people recommend Kevins tune. However, I am located in Finland....
Kevin delivers world-wide. He uses a loader for the tune that he has to send you, but after that it can be done via internet.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:50 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

I e-mailed him some questions and got a reply right away.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 PM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

My car was flashed by UMW tune yesterday. A huge transformation. I got UMW data logger. My sportscar hobby took a giant leap now - seeing what my engine is doing and learning to understand what I am seeing is very fascinating.

My first impressions after UMW flash:

- starting up the engine for first time after flash engine idling it is easy to hear that things have changed. Idle is much, much smoother.

- throttle feels much better, car responses instantly

- torque and power is available right away from low rpm

- power increase in mid-rpm-range is huge, no need to rev the engine for power

I am very happy with outcome of this tune. I think everybody with stock TT should do this.

Last edited by Guybrush Wilkinson; 04-14-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^1+
congrats
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree. This is how they should roll out of the factory. Huge improvement!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:21 PM
kcal
Intermediate

Kevin is a true gentleman. I emailed a couple questions to Kevin regarding my purchase of a 996 tt, and received immediate great responses. Currently not his customer, and will do so if I need anything in the future.

Vincent
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Brenton
Advanced

Other than dyno or reflashing the same car can someone tell the differance in tunes by looking at the files??

I have a copy of my techart tune and was wondering what it is like compared to Kevins?
When I did mine the timing to have the techart one was convenient as my local porsche centre was doing a couple and my turbo was going to be in there anyway.

Has someone had the techart and then swaped to kevins?
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

+1 for Kevin at UMW as well. Tuned my tiptronic and its much improved over stock. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM
MGS996
Racer

Kevin is your man. He looks after lots of guys in Australia.....Finland should not be an issue.

Quick Reply: ECU flash and reliability?