Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging system - Low voltage

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:46 AM
NBTBRV8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine failed within about the space of a few days when I first noticed that it didn't take charge at all upon one cold start up but then sprang to life when driving down the road. About 3-4 days later when the car started it came up at just under 14V, and then as the car warmed up steadily dropped to 12V.

I changed mine over with the 6speedonline DIY and bought a Bosch Unit which is the same item but without the Porsche part number stamped on it, i.e. it just has the Bosch number on it. If it looks like it is failing change it ASAP or it will leave you stranded for sure.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
My voltage never drops to 12 v . 12V is not enough to charge a battery. Does voltage drop after it hits 14Volt, yes but to about 13.8v. Have never seen it go to 12v. I have to disagree on the feel test. If the cable is very coroded I buy the feel test, but a slightly corroded cable may not demonstrate a noticeable amount of heat yet still cause a voltage drop. I still think you need to check your grounds!
With your car at idle, turn on your a/c, stereo, highbeams, frt fogs, rear fogs, rear defroster. Let us know if you're still able to get over 13v.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

I just replaced my regulator on the alternator, and my problem was fixed.
My question is that if your alternator is not running perfect (apart from not charging the battery and the problems caused by that) will a non fully operating alternator affect the performance of the car?
In other words non correct voltage affects the performance of the spark plugs, as well as other voltage related (i.e MAF) parts of the car....?

(I have been experiencing PSM/ABS yellow warning lights under full throttle, and I have a feeling that was due to a non proper alternator )

Harris
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 PM
TheKane
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

This just happened to me. It was running at 12v or just a hair above. Voltage regulator bolted to the alternator was the issue. Its two prongs wear out over time. If you already replaced it, I'm wondering if you didn't get a faulty one.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by harris
I just replaced my regulator on the alternator, and my problem was fixed.
My question is that if your alternator is not running perfect (apart from not charging the battery and the problems caused by that) will a non fully operating alternator affect the performance of the car?
In other words non correct voltage affects the performance of the spark plugs, as well as other voltage related (i.e MAF) parts of the car....?

(I have been experiencing PSM/ABS yellow warning lights under full throttle, and I have a feeling that was due to a non proper alternator )

Harris
Certainly. The various controllers in the car are very dependent upon proper voltage levels. Invariably they monitor this and if the level drops will consider this a problem and signal this by a warning light even logging an error code or two.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:31 AM
Angelus
Instructor

Does anyone have the part number for the voltage regulator as this has now happened to me too. I want to give the voltage regulator a try before I change the whole alternator (£50 compared to £500).
Old 05-27-2013, 06:22 AM
Angelus
Instructor

It's ok I found it, Part No. F 00M 145 350. I just need to find somewhere open as its a bank holiday over here.

Quick Reply: Charging system - Low voltage