Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 Octane Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

It has been a while but I was able to buy 100 octane gas at a station in Tracy. I tried 100 octane gas in my Boxster continuing to drive the car for 30 miles or more after the low fuel light came on and then I pumped 6 gallons of 100 octane gas into the tank. Try as I could I noticed no difference and I really wanted to.

(Now, I know the engines are designed to run a higher grade of gas than 91 octane and I have no doubt that had I been able to afford feeing the Boxster a steady diet of 100 octane gas that over time I would have found the fuel economy improve and perhaps noticed the engine's change for the better in other areas too. But I only had a few hours to drive the car before it was due to get smog checked and in that time the engine felt neither better or worse than before. The car passed smog and I mentioned to the tech that I had put 100 octane gas in the tank a few hours before the test and the smog tech told me that the race gas probably made no difference.)

Anyhow, I have it on my list of things to do and that is to drive the Turbo until the low fuel level warning light comes on and for some time after and fill up (omg the cost!) the Turbo's tank with 100 octane gas and see if my seat of the pants dyno can feel the difference.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 93 Octane Question