Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rears wearing out from inside?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 03:46 AM
fedmax
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the tires go quickly on our car but if the tires are wearing out quicker than expected it is normally too much toe-in in addition.

Regarding wheel alignment: if you're driving alone most of the time it makes sense that the driver or somebody with similar weight sits in the driver seat during alignment.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
One other point did by chance this car have lowering springs put on? Lowering springs can throw the camber out of spec.
My car is 100% stock.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

FEDMAX - If it were to much toe in the outsides would be wearing not the insides.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:17 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
FEDMAX - If it were to much toe in the outsides would be wearing not the insides.
With negative camber, toe in and toe out should still result in the inner tire wear.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Not debating that, but toe in on it's own as being descriibed causes outside wear.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:24 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevinmacd

With all due respect your posts in this thread are wrong.

Toe WILL exacerbate tire wear evenly AND will do it on either inner or outer edges! You seem to think that toe in will expose the outside edge and that is why toe wears the outer edge...WRONG.

Simply stated, toe cause the tire to 'scrub' or have a slight angle between the roatation and the contact patch- therefore the entire contact patch will scrub or wear. IF, and this is by design in BMWs and 911s, you have neg camber, the scrub is biased to the inner edge.

I laugh when people try to adjust camber down to get less wear, yet their toe is "middle of the Porsche spec"...crazy.

Set toe to 0.02. compared to 0.08 you will double the mileage.

Guy- this has been discussed elsewhere, do a search here or on 6speed. Toe.

GL

A
Old 06-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

How prone a tire is to explode when the cord is showing? 295-30-18 tires seem to be very rare in my country, I had to order a pair from Germany to get them for a reasonable price. Shipping will take 10 days.

I would like to careafully drive to work (5 miles) - rather than walk or take the buss. What lies underneath the cord? The cord is not showing 100% all around inside edge of my rears but most of way.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:59 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Here is how it looks, this is the worst spot:

Old 06-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Guybrush Wilkinson
How prone a tire is to explode when the cord is showing? 295-30-18 tires seem to be very rare in my country, I had to order a pair from Germany to get them for a reasonable price. Shipping will take 10 days.

I would like to careafully drive to work (5 miles) - rather than walk or take the buss. What lies underneath the cord? The cord is not showing 100% all around inside edge of my rears but most of way.
Worn tires are at greater risk of a puncture and possibly a blow out than tires that are not worn.

In your case, the tires may not suffer a puncture or blow out at all or may the next time you take the car out.

Driving with severely worn tires is playing Russian Roulete with a revolver with an infinite number of chambers and every time the tire rolls the hammer falls on the next chamber.

A puncture or blow out is one risk, but another is if you drive the car in the wet. An emergency avoidance action or braking action can happen at any time and worn tires may be the difference between having an accident vs. having a close call.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

I will take wifes car and she will take the bus.... ;D problem solved.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Guy when you get the alignment done let us know what was done to correct the issue.

Quick Reply: Rears wearing out from inside?