Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension saga continues - anyone have OEM rear sway bar they'd like to part with?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Mark P
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

doubleurx,

Thanks again for pointing me to that additional information.

Since I updated this thread last, I brought my car in for annual inspection and asked the shop to look again at the sway bar hitting control arm. A few minutes later the tech walked out with a broken droplink in his hand. I instantly recalled the time a month or so prior when I was attempting to back into a friends driveway with a steep "curb" and thus went at a diagonal to get a tire up it first - upon attempting that, there was a big bang. I assumed it was just the control/sway hitting, but I knew it had to be something more based on the slow speed I was going. Sure enough, they probably hit and pushed until the droplink bolt snapped. Unfortunately, this meant I had to pull out the coilover to drill out the broken bolt, but this gave me the opportunity to measure my coilover height setting to see if I was anywhere close to their narrow spec window. (Yeah sure I could do this on the car, but it makes me feel better to think I had some other benefit to pull out the coilover )

So according to the 996 Turbo PSS9 instructions here:
http://photos.imageevent.com/itacud/...7_996turbo.pdf

They say:

REAR
200 - 210 mm* = 10 mm range

measurement:
top edge of spring seat down to the center of mounting screw

It looks like I'm at 221mm, right? So I need to lower my car 11-21mm to get within spec. Not what I was expecting.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope that solves it once and for all.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Mark P
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
I hope that solves it once and for all.
I should have also mentioned I did source an OEM sway bar and bought OEM droplinks. Sway bar will be here tomorrow and car will go back together then. Indeed, once I have those parts on, I hope it will be resolved. Should be easy enough to tell once it's installed based on sway/control arm clearance when jacking one side of the car.

Quick Reply: Suspension saga continues - anyone have OEM rear sway bar they'd like to part with?