Sponsored by:

Track Photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:01 AM
buzzmasters
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Photos

I've had the car two months now, and had the first track outing last week (a DE) at Hallett near Tulsa, OK. The car was phenomenal.....X73 suspension was very stable yet reasonably responsive (seems to be just right for combination street/track use). The biggest limitation was me getting used to a rear-engined car after previous years in a Boxster S and E46 BMW M3. Acceleration put a big smile on my face, GyroDisc rotors and Pagid yellows were flawless, Europipe Stage I Quiet makes perfect music.

My track times sucked, but I will have a chance to redeem myself next weekend with 8 friends at 'Fast Friday' at Mid-America Motorplex near Omaha. Should have a chance to put on the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups instead of the PS2s. If anyone is in the neighborhood, come on by and join in the fun.

Cheers,

Buzz
Attached Images      
Old 05-14-2011, 08:46 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Very nice Buzz!
Old 05-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice! Are you running with stock seats and belts, or have you changed them out for the track?

I am about 3 weeks away from getting out on the track in my new tt for the first time.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:30 PM
buzzmasters
Track Day

Renn --

Stock sport seats and stock belts. I only track 6-10 days a year, and do a fair amount of weekend street driving, so I haven't invested in seats and harnesses. I'll be interested to see what you think of yours in a couple of weeks....have fun!

Buzz
Old 05-14-2011, 05:47 PM
DMac225
Intermediate

Nice shots of the car! Awesome machine!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 PM
kennyPride
Instructor

Your TT looks like its has a nice lowered stance? Was any suspension work done. I like it. Mine looks higher based on tire clearance to the fenders.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

kenny....he states he has the X73 suspension.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:43 PM
buzz737
7th Gear

Kenny --

Yes, it is the X73 suspension, which is a factory (Porsche) aftermarket suspension which includes new shocks and springs, and firmer engine mounts (priced around $2500 plus installation). It is already 'tuned' for a firmer ride and a bit better handling, and your dealership has specific X73 settings in their alignment computer for this option. Those who want to be able to dial in the suspension themselves go with Biltein PSS9s , PSS10s, Motons, etc, but the X73 is a great solution for those of us that use the car for part track and part street use and are content with one setting. I like the firmer ride, as I thought the stock tune was too soft and floated a bit more than it should...others may think the ride is too firm, but I think it is perfect for a sports car. X73 was definitely the right solution for me.

Buzz

Opinions on X73: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...uspension.html
Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by buzz737
...others may think the ride is too firm, but I think it is perfect for a sports car.
X73 turned my Turbo into the proper (in my mind) hard edged sports car it should have been (in my opinion) from the factory in stock form.

IMO, the early Turbos were hard edged and great cars to drive; real sports cars. That was what I was after without having to buy a car that old. The 996 Turbo was way too GT'ish in factory form. The addition of X73, a B&M shifter, LWFW, smaller diameter/thicker steering wheel, and louder exhaust has transformed my car into the "perfect-for-me" harder edged/less GT'ish sports car I was after.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM
buzz737
7th Gear

Dock -

Do you recommend the FVD 340mm steering wheel? I have been thinking along the same lines, that I would like a thicker wheel more along the lines of the one I had in the E46 BMW M3. Any others you considered? Dell or Mikelly...care to join in with an opinion?

I think this is the one you have: http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/9...cl.-AB%29.html

Thanks,

Buzz
Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Buzz, a great option if you like the thicker feel to a wheel is to get either (a) the optional thicker wheel; or (b) get yours wrapped to be thicker.

I had the optional thicker wheel in my GT3 and liked it for the street but hated it for the track. I sold it and put in a cup steering wheel since I spent most of my time on track. On the used market it will run you about $750-$900. I think a might have a lead on one for a great price if you want that factory thicker wheel. Here is a link to the factory optional wheel. It's about 2.5mm thicker which doesn't sound like a lot but it is. LINK

The wrap option is a relatively cheap alternative. A local friend of mine got his wrapped to be thicker and also had the wrap done in alcantara. It turned out amazing. The guy who does the wraps is Don Le out in Dallas at www.dallassteeringwheel.com 469-449-7973. Here is my friend's thread that shows Don's work. LINK
Old 05-17-2011, 10:17 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by buzz737
Dock -

Do you recommend the FVD 340mm steering wheel?
I really like the FVD 340mm steering wheel.

I had several issues with the OEM steering wheel:

1. It had a skinny feel in my hands.

2. With my seat full down and full back, and the steering wheel adjusted to it's best location, I still could not keep my right hand on the steering wheel and have enough room to get it past my right thigh (in a right hand turn requiring that much steer).

3. I wanted to improve the car's steering response.

The thicker FVD steering wheel feels perfect in my hands, and I now have plenty of room between the steering wheel and my right thigh. The steering response is noticeably better, and steering feel has not been compromised.

I will say that in my personal case, I had to come up with a work-around in terms of "tach visibility". I have a tall "sitting height", and even with my seat full down and full back (where I have to set it to be comfortable), the upper portion of the tach is covered by the smaller diameter steering wheel. Unless I hunch down and peer under the steering wheel, I can't see the 3000-5000 RPM range. I knew this was going to be the case before I ordered the FVD steering wheel (it had to be custom ordered as I wanted it to match my Metropol Blue interior), but the other factors mention above were more important to me than being able to actually see the 3000-5000 RPM range. So my work-around was to place two short pieces of pin stripping tape that aligned with the 3000 and 5000 RPM locations. The 4000 RPM point is "needle straight up", so I know that location using that indication.

Here's my FVD 340mm steering wheel...

Here's a not so good picture of the pin stripping. I couldn't take a picture that shows how the stripes look to me (with the steering wheel covering the 3000-5000 RPM range), and the picture is not taken on-center. But you get the idea.

For guys with lower sitting heights (and it wouldn't take much lower), I believe the entire tach would be visible with the 340mm steering wheel.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:10 PM
buzzmasters
Track Day

Dock, Dell --

Thanks for the inputs....tough decision. I love the look of the Daytona, but I also can see advantages in a more stock look. Dell, I left you a PM.

Decisions, decisions..........

Cheers,

Buzz
Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 PM
buzz737
7th Gear

Dell --

I am definitely interested in the factory thick steering wheel if you have a line on it...please see PM if you are able.

Thanks,

Buzz
Old 05-19-2011, 11:13 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Buzz, check your PM. Sent you the info yesterday. I'm at the track this weekend so I'll have limited contact but will check in from time to time.

Quick Reply: Track Photos