Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/cons to 1 piece vs. multiple piece wheels (and more questions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:24 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 339 Likes on 187 Posts
Question Pros/cons to 1 piece vs. multiple piece wheels (and more questions)

I'm trying to get a new set of wheels for the Turbo that perform well and are closer to what I like aesthetically. I'm thinking Fikse (FM10) or CCW (C14 and more) from what I've been reading. The idea of a wheel being a single piece is appealing to me over one made up of multiple pieces, but I'm not sure why. I suppose the less parts, bolts and pieces the better in my mind. I don't like visible bolts on the wheels as you normally get with multi-piece wheels, but I see Fikse hides them behind the spokes rather than them being visible on the outside.

In the real world, what are the advantages and disadvantages to a one piece vs a multi piece wheel? I'm going to retain an 18 inch size for multiple reasons.

Also I've always liked BBS wheels but haven't seen any appropriate 1 piece forged wheels for the 996TT.

I've also read many of posts with people using a myriad of different size setups for wheels and tires. What effects on performance do these different sizes have on the car? If one goes to slightly wider front tires, does one need to widen the rears as well to maintain the same ratio front to rear?

For now I'm just focused on getting a good set of 18s for street driving on the stock suspension. I prefer to use no spacers and don't want any rubbing issues whatsoever.

Long post but share your thoughts and enlighten me as I'm new to all this Porsche stuff. My last two vehicles were turbocharged with AWD but used the same size wheels and tires at all four corners, so all of this staggered stuff still perplexes me.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The primary advantage of the 2 piece wheel is that you will typically get a stronger, lighter wheel. And if the rim is damaged you may be able to salvage the center section and just replace the outer rim. There are strong, lightweight 1 piece wheels available but they will most likely be pricier.

If you're just looking for street wheels and you prefer the look of the 1 piece designs, then I'd recommend you stick with what you like.

Quick Reply: Pros/cons to 1 piece vs. multiple piece wheels (and more questions)