Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$99 front lip on and lowers painted.......

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
I've always thought it gives the illusion that the car is lowererd a bit as well.
I think more so when the body color isn't dark. There is obviously a better visual blend paint-to-plastic on a black car, although the gloss (paint) to non-gloss (plastic) is still somewhat of an issue even then.

Originally Posted by nick49
How did you prep the the textured finish, load it up with primer and sand? I imagine you also used a flex agent in the paint?
When I considered painting my Turbo's lower parts, my paint guy told me that if the plastic parts had been treated with any detail products to make them look better, he may not be able to paint them (that is, he might not be able to remove enough of the product to get an acceptable surface to apply paint to).
Old 05-18-2011, 01:02 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Good point Dock.

Also......the composition of these ground effects parts is relevent.....if memory serves Porsche uses, or at least did use, polypropylene rather than polyurathane.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a paint product out that allows paint to adhere to plastic, regardless of the base type. Clean off all silicones apply the adhesive coat, then paint as normal.

"Dupli-Color® - Professional Adhesion Promoter:
Dupli-Color® Professional Adhesion Promoter increases adhesion of all paints to polypropylene, polyethylene, TPO, ABS and related plastics.
Provides improved adhesion for paints
Ideal for use on primed metal and automotive plastics
Please click the item below to purchase.
DUP DPS105 - Adhesion Promoter"
Old 05-18-2011, 02:28 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
There is a paint product out that allows paint to adhere to plastic, regardless of the base type. Clean off all silicones apply the adhesive coat, then paint as normal.

"Dupli-Color® - Professional Adhesion Promoter:
Dupli-Color® Professional Adhesion Promoter increases adhesion of all paints to polypropylene, polyethylene, TPO, ABS and related plastics.
Provides improved adhesion for paints
Ideal for use on primed metal and automotive plastics
Please click the item below to purchase.
DUP DPS105 - Adhesion Promoter"
It works great. I used it as the base coat to paint the mud flaps on my truck. Three years, 43k miles, and some pretty hard duty on and off road, and there aren't really even any chips in the paint on the tire side. The "clean sides look like they did the day I painted them.

It's really good stuff.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Clean off all silicones...
That can be the pivotal issue. The plastics seems to be somewhat porous, and completely cleaning all silicones that may have been applied can be difficult to impossible. This is obviously not an issue if no silicones have ever been applied.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:29 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Use a laquer thinner a couple of times, be careful against any painted surfaces to clean,it will take off paint. If you are careful the silcones will not be present.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

SSST that what I did also on my truck mud flaps, needed them to match my two tone, rather than black. Yup still adhering and gong strong.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

All are great suggestions. Yes, you must get all silicone crap off. I used a degreaser and wheel acid. And scrubbed with a scotch bright pad. Applied a few coats of sand-able primer. Then paint from a company on eBay that does color match paint. Then a few clear coats and you are done.

I put clear bra on the impact spots for good measure.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:19 PM
bux996tt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the lowers painted. Looks a bit different and clean. Your car looks great.

Quick Reply: $99 front lip on and lowers painted.......