Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 PM
AeroTurbo
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Learn from my mistake on this one. When I drove from Seattle to the 2009 Porsche Parade in Colorado I made a boneheaded decision to open the cap in Keystone (9,300ft) to add a little water because I was just below the line. When I stopped in Leadville (10,000ft) after going over an +11,000ft pass, a large volume of coolant spewed out all over the engine compartment due to the pressure differential. It was like Old Faithful. Very fortunately I had 3 gallons of distilled water in the trunk JIC. I was told prior to the trip to not worry about being just below the line on fluid. Never open your coolant system at elevation unless you really need water, because if you do you will really need water.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:29 PM
jeffmeunier
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the pressure test, and have to do it warm. I had vague coolant smells from the front end since I bought the car, even missed on a very thorough PPI. Took to shop, replaced the blue cap (a gimme, safe bet), but took the shop a couple tries to actually find one leaking radiator that was only leaking when good and hot.

Wasn't happy to have a big repair that early, but the coolant leak was far from confidence inspiring so glad to have found it.

Originally Posted by tbarcelo
Thanks for all of the inputs. I'll double-check the reservoir, but I don't recall any obvious deposits. I'm wondering if I have some weeping somewhere.

Manual states - "When the engine is cold and the car is level the fluid level must lie between the "Min." and "Max." markings."

I also plan to check the level when cold, but I agree that if I'm smelling coolant then there must be some kind of leak.

For pressure testing - does it make sense to pull the front bumper first? How hard is it to pull the front bumper (I have pulled the rear bumper, and that was super-easy).

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Coolant question