Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you change your own oil? In Chicago?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:43 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you change your own oil? In Chicago?

Here's a strange question. I am trying to buy some drain plug magnets for my 2001 Turbo. My problem is that no one, I mean NO ONE can tell me the size of the drain plug for the crankcase and the oil tank. I have even contacted three dealers in Chicago, and none of them have the drain plugs in stock. AND, the Porsche Parts listing only lists part numbers, not the size of the screw.

There are a number of companies that make magnetic drain plugs, but they don't know any better than I what the size of the plugs are for the Turbo 3.6L engine.

I have found out that the drain plug for the turbos is M18 x 1.5mm. Measured it myself to confirm. I do have a thread gauge, and I have a caliper, so if I can get my hands on the drain plugs, I can measure them to assure that I'm getting the right size.

So - Do you change your own oil on your turbo? Are you going to do it soon? Maybe in the next few weeks? Can I stop by when you're changing the oil and measure the drain plugs as you pull them out of your car to drain the oil?

This way, I can get the magnetic plugs for my next oil change. Otherwise, I'll just be skipping this one, measure my own plugs, and order the magnetic plugs for my NEXT oil change after that. It's not so terrible, but I would like to get this done so that I can take advantage of the magnetic plugs on my next oil change.

thanks

larry
Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47us
Here's a strange question. I am trying to buy some drain plug magnets for my 2001 Turbo. My problem is that no one, I mean NO ONE can tell me the size of the drain plug for the crankcase and the oil tank. I have even contacted three dealers in Chicago, and none of them have the drain plugs in stock. AND, the Porsche Parts listing only lists part numbers, not the size of the screw.

There are a number of companies that make magnetic drain plugs, but they don't know any better than I what the size of the plugs are for the Turbo 3.6L engine.

I have found out that the drain plug for the turbos is M18 x 1.5mm. Measured it myself to confirm. I do have a thread gauge, and I have a caliper, so if I can get my hands on the drain plugs, I can measure them to assure that I'm getting the right size.

So - Do you change your own oil on your turbo? Are you going to do it soon? Maybe in the next few weeks? Can I stop by when you're changing the oil and measure the drain plugs as you pull them out of your car to drain the oil?

This way, I can get the magnetic plugs for my next oil change. Otherwise, I'll just be skipping this one, measure my own plugs, and order the magnetic plugs for my NEXT oil change after that. It's not so terrible, but I would like to get this done so that I can take advantage of the magnetic plugs on my next oil change.

thanks

larry
maybe call these people and ask. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Larry, I looked on Pelican Parts and Auto Atlanta and they show 18mm x 1.5 (threads per mm) as the size for the motor case and 2 turbo reservoir tanks. The oil tank shows 20mm x 1.5.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'll be doing tranny fluid (front and rear diff) and engine oil at the end of May if that's not too long.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:14 PM
larry47us
Pro

Nick - Thanks for the information. I wasn't able to find that level of detail on the Pelican site. You're a better man than I Gunga Dihn.

Dell - The timing is probably OK, but do you have a thread gauge to measure the threads and a caliper to measure the diameter of the bolt?

larry
Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

yes on the caliper no on the thread gauge.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:39 PM
larry47us
Pro

Dell, sent you a PM.

larry

Quick Reply: Do you change your own oil? In Chicago?