Harmonic Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzmasters
...now an airline pilot and enjoying the engineering of these Porsches.
Likewise.

Probably no coincidence that I like F-16/F-15 gray (otherwise known as seal gray)!
And it's probably no coincidence that I like F-15 "light blue (in the old days)/ gray" (otherwise known as Polar Silver... it was as close as I could get)
Old 04-26-2011, 04:44 AM
buzzmasters
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dell -

Sorry to hear of your loss. He was one of the great ones, and a role model for us all.

Buzz
Old 04-26-2011, 09:57 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Buzz. Colon cancer got him in his 50's

The worst part was he got regular screening, had a few polyps, was treated and was declared cancer free and then out of nowhere it came back, and with a vengeance. Damn I hate cancer.

Cancer can't take the amazing memories I have of him
Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

LVDELL know it exactly, that's how I lost my Dad, he had regular screenings too, but they missed it. All good memories!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 PM
technivoro.us
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 21 Posts

Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but did you find any resolution to this noise?

I've been experiencing a similar noise - from about 2300-3000 RPM engine speed regardless of road speed. I just had my oil changed (5k intervals since I bought the car two years ago), and had them look for the source of the noise - including the wheel bearings.

I've also been experiencing greater oil consumption lately - had been 2000-3000 miles/qt, now < 700 miles/qt.

They reported no problems with the wheel bearings, and gave the old "they all sound like that" line.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by technivoro.us
Hate to bring this thread back from the dead, but did you find any resolution to this noise?

I've been experiencing a similar noise - from about 2300-3000 RPM engine speed regardless of road speed. I just had my oil changed (5k intervals since I bought the car two years ago), and had them look for the source of the noise - including the wheel bearings.

I've also been experiencing greater oil consumption lately - had been 2000-3000 miles/qt, now < 700 miles/qt.

They reported no problems with the wheel bearings, and gave the old "they all sound like that" line.
Judging by your avatar, I 'd say yes it is the wheel bearings.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:37 PM
technivoro.us
Racer

Originally Posted by doubleurx
Judging by your avatar, I 'd say yes it is the wheel bearings.
The wheel bearings were the only thing that worked well after that wreck!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:26 PM
buzzmasters
Track Day

Default UPDATE

Your timing is very good on bringing this thread back. Yesterday I had the differential fluid replaced in both differentials....it was the original fluid (8 years old), and I had it replaced as a preventive measure. When I took the car out for some spirited back-roads driving, the harmonic noise is now reduced by about 75%........I didn't expect that, and it may not stay that way, but I was very surprised. There is still a little noise....now down at 2100-2250 RPM instead of 2300-2750 RPM, but not nearly as pronounced as before. I don't guarantee this will work for you, or that it will last, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I will take it out again today to do some more 'testing'. It is not a 'cheap' solution....it cost me $411....but so far, so good.

Buzz
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 PM
technivoro.us
Racer

Your timing is very good on bringing this thread back. Yesterday I had the differential fluid replaced in both differentials....it was the original fluid (8 years old), and I had it replaced as a preventive measure. When I took the car out for some spirited back-roads driving, the harmonic noise is now reduced by about 75%........I didn't expect that, and it may not stay that way, but I was very surprised. There is still a little noise....now down at 2100-2250 RPM instead of 2300-2750 RPM, but not nearly as pronounced as before. I don't guarantee this will work for you, or that it will last, but I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I will take it out again today to do some more 'testing'. It is not a 'cheap' solution....it cost me $411....but so far, so good.

Buzz
Thanks Buzz, I appreciate the update!

-chris
Old 11-17-2012, 11:52 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

Buzz
Following up to see if your problem was resolved. Did you end up doing anything else other than changing the differential fluid?

Quick Reply: Harmonic Noise