Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Puff of smoke on start-up - Is it Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 05:03 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yesterday, the car had been sitting for a week. Started it, and a puff of white smoke came out and immediately stopped.

Probably would have freaked me out if I hadn't read this first.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:59 PM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get smoke quite frequently. I dont drive my TT daily, the longer the car has been sitting the more likely it is to puff.

Embarrasing sometimes when people are watching "the guy with insanely expensive car leave".
Old 06-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Well, there are things you can do/try that may minimize the smoking upon startup but these may not eliminate the behavior altogether. There are always cars that will be the exception to the rule.

Regardless, as long as the smoking is brief, does not occur at any other time but at startup, is not accompanied by a check engine light or other signs of engine troubles, ignore it.

As for people watching you leave maybe it is not the smoking from the exhaust pipes that attracts the watchers. Maybe you're just very good looking. Or very ugly.

Seriously, relax and enjoy the car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

If you think the puff of smoke at start up is a head turner, you should see what a LWFW will do when you're at a stop in neutral with the clutch out (sitting at a stop light, or sitting during the cool down period prior to shutdown).
Old 06-17-2011, 02:45 AM
R5 Turbo 2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get a puff of smoke after a big toke off of the vaporizer
Old 09-03-2014, 01:02 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also got it once on this car and a few times on my 2001 Boxster S.
I figured out a way to avoid it from happening. After using the car, I have to let the temps stabilize by driving calmly for the last mile or so, and letting it idle for a minute or two before shutting down.
More importantly, once the engine is started, it must be run to operating temperature and not shut down immediately and left over night. If it is, it's almost a guaranteed smoke situation when it is started the next day. A perfect example would be if I take it out of the garage to wash it, then start it to put it away. That's what happened when my 996 turbo smoked the other day.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (02-09-2022)
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow bringing back threads from ages ago..... But since you've done it , I'll add that i have the same thing. Probably on 10% of start ups. Thought it was my AOS but realized that if I let it idle for 3 mins it rarely ever happens.

I wonder if the smoke shortens the life of already short lived spark plugs.

Quick Reply: The Puff of smoke on start-up - Is it Normal?