Sponsored by:

What gives with my gas gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 PM
larry47us
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gives with my gas gauge?

My gas gauge has always worked just fine. Today, I was running low on gas, and wanted to just put a few gallons in to tide me over (premium gas sells for a discount on Wednesdays). I pulled into the station, and the Miles to Empty read 38 miles.

I opened the filler door, and put three gallons into the tank. I expected to see the needle rise a bit, and the mileage till empty give me another 50 miles or so. Instead, the gauge needle didn't rise, and the miles to empty still read 38 miles.

What gives? I never had a problem before. Do you need to fill the tank to have the electronic gauge reset?

larry
Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Centauro97
Track Day

The owner's manual mentions this. Add too little fuel and the system won't notice. Your problem is inherent in the design.

Should be fine once you fill up.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Doesn't read the bottom portion of the tank, apparently because of its shape.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
aircooled77
Intermediate

As already said, the lower part of the tank can't be measured by the fuel gauge. When fuel drops below a certain level, the gauge "triangulates" remaining fuel by using past average and the miles driven. Only when topped up above the threshold will the gauge be reset. I believe the manual says you should add at least 4-5 gallons, otherwise it won't recognize it.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Correct, since we have a sandlebag design it is only analog for the first half of the tank. Once the level drops below that point where there is fuel down below the combined level in the sadlebag areas, it is all based on a algorithm. Just a flaw of this system.

Mine needs to be calibrated since when I am at zero, it will only let me get about 13-14 gallons in. Tells me there is still about 3-4 gallons in the tank but I sure as hell am not going to test that out

I wonder if those of us that go to the track have more problems with the algorithm since our mpg changes dramatically over the weekend.

I'll wait until I have other warranty work to get done before I take her in to the dealer.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:27 PM
larry47us
Pro

Thanks, guys. Kind of like driving the 1967 Chrysler New Yorker I had. The gas gauge didn't work. I had the sense that I could go 300 miles on a tank. When the trip-odometer hit 300, I hit the gas station. Now, it's the converse. The tank says I'm empty, but I know that I've got 50 more miles to go.

larry
Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM
polar3
Instructor

this site is fantastic. good group of people with the same car sharing similar experiences. this very thing happened to me just the other day and it left me baffled. funny to read this thread today.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My only real complaint with the car. The gas tank is just too small. Seem to be spending my life filling the tank.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Receiver
My only real complaint with the car. The gas tank is just too small. Seem to be spending my life filling the tank.
I agree (and the extra complexity of fuel pump/supply lines in the tank to accomodate the saddle configuration).

The option for a 100 liter (23+ gallon) tank in the new 997 GTS is a real attraction to me. Too bad I can't put the money together to buy one. Sigh.

Sincerely

Macster.

Quick Reply: What gives with my gas gauge?