Sponsored by:

Ok Rennlist, help me find a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:58 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok Rennlist, help me find a turbo

Like it says, financially I'm flush and I think I'm ready to buy.
This site has been a huge help to me since I joined and started searching.
Was stuck wanting a 930 for the longest, and still might get one as a project down the road. I keep coming back to the 996tt as the best bang for buck. I need the back seat for my little guy too.

I'm good with mods on the car as long as the owner was diligent in taking care of the car. There's a few I saw on 6speed that I liked, but I'm not a member there, and don't want to go through the hassle of having to have x amount of posts before I can pm or email etc...

My max ceiling is 60kish, don't want to be that high if I can avoid it.

Not super particular on the color, as I can always have the car wrapped if it has everything I want but the color is off...
Only 2 musts are manual transmission and absolutely no cabriolets.
Black is my favorite color, and "silver" my least.

I've found a few on auto trader, and a couple more I'd like to call about today, but really am interested in seeing what the brain trust here comes up with
-Karl
Old 02-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Check Turbo for sale ads in the PCA magazine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or the PCA National site in the Mart. I bought my car through that.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:04 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Check Turbo for sale ads in the PCA magazine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Seems to me the ads in the PCA mag are all way overpriced. I've watched for quite a while and they all seem to be at at 10-20% premium.

Try 6speedonline.com - usually quite a few listed there.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
vincefaro
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking too. I have been on Autotrader.com , Cars.com , and ebay. I'm sure you have seen these cars too but here you go anyway.

Originally Posted by leftlane
Seems to me the ads in the PCA mag are all way overpriced. I've watched for quite a while and they all seem to be at at 10-20% premium.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
JWGT2
Rennlist Member

Karl:
Pm'd you about my TT.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:58 PM
KJ1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JWGT2
Karl:
Pm'd you about my TT.
PM replied to.

I'd like to chat tomorrow.

Thanks,
-Karl
Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 PM
porscheaudiman
8th Gear

Try craigzoom.com, then type 911 Turbo with a max of $60k, you can then search by state and city on all of craigslist in about 30 minutes
I have found cars listed here that I have not found anywhere else, many private sellers and dealers that you won't find on the big 3
Old 02-26-2011, 11:53 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If history holds the PCA stuff is people living in fantasy worlds hoping to sell to others living in fantasy worlds...like folks without computers or no internet.

The trick is to educate yourself as to what the market is, and start tracking what you want. Daily checks of all the usual places will show you when a new one pops up. That way you can move on it quickly.

Given your price and my perception of your attitude, you might place a "want to sell your car?" posts on 6speed. Buyers are just hammering sellers, and you will find folks that might consider a sale just not bothering with the hassle. An informed buyer, who values a clean car, records, mods, etc, might appeal to someone considering a change, but not fully committed.

GL

A
Old 02-27-2011, 12:04 AM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 349 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm looking for a 996TT as well but have far more specific wants and desires than you seem to. It shouldn't be too tough to find a clean black one.

Just be happy you're not looking for a Slate Gray X50 or Turbo S with a 6 speed, Bose sound package, etc. I'm finding so many cars that are close to awesome (like a Turbo S with 5900 miles in Atlas Gray, but it has the gray leather), but not quite perfect. I already let one slip through my fingers but not again.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by leftlane

Based on my impression developed from reading the postings at 6speedonline.com the majority of these cars are mod'd to within an inch of their lives and have lived a hard life. There are I'm sure exceptions but I'd be doubly on guard when considering a car offered from that site.

As for the premium prices you mention, much like cars offered through other channels the asking price of cars for sale in the PCA magazine ads is always optimistic. I'd not let a 10% or 20% optimistic price from at least approaching the seller and seeing just how willing he is to stick to his price.

Remember, price is not a fact, only an opinion.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:50 PM
bananaman
1st Gear

Default 996TT search

I just purchased my 996TT in December after searching online for half of 2010 (or half my life, I guess). Being in Canada, I was prepared to go almost anywhere in Canada or the US. I found the many deals on 996TTs out of Texas, Florida, and actually in Chicago.I searched on a couple of the other websites mentioned already as well as ebay. It seems that none of the vendors selling on ebay have any interest in selling through ebay, but use it to advertise only. Many good deals out there, and most sellers are willing to move on price ( dropping from $49,000 to $39,000 in one conversation with a California Porsche dealer ). I ended up paying around $36,000 for a 2002 996TT with 53,000 miles in fantastic condition.

Just my experience.

PS: I don't want to send any details because I have no affiliation and am new to this forum but I did find a nice looking black 996 Turbo on ebay today. In Chicago as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Too bad you hate silver :-) I have a '03 silver coupe with only 22,xxx miles on it and it looks like it just came off the showroom. I was looking for $45-50K. It has some mods but nothing crazy, just exhaust, software, intake plenum. Oh well, guess I'll just have to drive it some more. Cheers
Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 AM
tvurt
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought my car off of 6speed. I read everyone of the 743 posts the previous owner made regarding the car, and was very familiar with the history before I had a PPI done. My car came with just over $45,000 in mods and parts. The mods added about 10% of their "value" to the price of the car, when I bought it. It is kinda of funny to think this car has had a bit more then $175,000 spent on it by the PO(s), and it is work about $55k now.

I personally would not be afraid of buying a documented and modified car from a forum member.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:04 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Tvurt, sounds like a great car. I too will be "stalking" the PO of whatever car I end up with next.

sounds like you got a great deal

Quick Reply: Ok Rennlist, help me find a turbo