Tip vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tip vs. Manual

Anyone here owned both in a TT?

I owned a 6 speed 996 cab for 7 years and a Boxster tip going on 9 years. So I have driven both for years. Now I'm looking for a TT or a GT3. I've driven 3 manual TTs and a tip last friday. I must say the tip impressed me most. It may have been chipped, I don't know but it felt quicker than the manuals I drove. I passed a car super quickly on the freeway and as I was getting back in my lane I saw 108mph on the speedo. I think I scared the salesman. Anyway I'd like thoughts on anyone who's owned both in a TT.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had both - a 2002 Tip coupe first, and now a 2004 X-50 6 spd Cab. Both cars have their individual strong points, and drawbacks. My suggestion is to look at the type of useage you anticipate, and go from there.
Tip pros: Consistent on the track, never have to worry about a missed shift, clutches don't need to be replaced, no 2nd gear pop-out issues, great in heavy traffic, can let the wife drive it, turbo engine well suited for a tip, faster stoplight acceleration MOST of the time.

6 speed pros: More feeling of being involved with the driving process. probably faster acceleration if you are willing to beat on the clutch/trans. Maybe a little quicker on the track. Possibly better resale value.

Having experienced both trans's, my personal opinion is a mildly modded (flash, exhaust) TT Tip is the way to go. That being said, I'm hoping that the next TT I buy will have the new PDK trans in it.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I own a tip tt and never thought I would but the stars aligned themselves and here I am with one, at least i knew it couldn't have over revs. I am very happy with it especially for the track for all the reason's stated previously. I also ended up progressing very quickly and can attribute a good percentage to the tip as I can't toe and heel anymore due to ankle issues. I still drive my NSX 6 spd for my shifting fun occassionally on weekends, but not on the track. I will get a PDK car in the future for track use.

One thing that enhanced my track driving was changing the steering wheel to a paddle shift type from the buttons on the stock car, and also got a smaller diameter wheel. That really helped as far as avoiding inadvertant shifts in crossed arm manuevers on the track and especially in autocross. See my previous post on the subject if you are interested.

Figure out what you are going to do with the car, I use mine as a daily driver and track car so the tip made the most sense. If it is just a weekend fun ride then a stick makes more sense if you enjoy the shifting.

Good luck in your search,

Tytus
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Last930
I've had both - a 2002 Tip coupe first, and now a 2004 X-50 6 spd Cab. Both cars have their individual strong points, and drawbacks. My suggestion is to look at the type of useage you anticipate, and go from there.
Tip pros: Consistent on the track, never have to worry about a missed shift, clutches don't need to be replaced, no 2nd gear pop-out issues, great in heavy traffic, can let the wife drive it, turbo engine well suited for a tip, faster stoplight acceleration MOST of the time.

6 speed pros: More feeling of being involved with the driving process. probably faster acceleration if you are willing to beat on the clutch/trans. Maybe a little quicker on the track. Possibly better resale value.

Having experienced both trans's, my personal opinion is a mildly modded (flash, exhaust) TT Tip is the way to go. That being said, I'm hoping that the next TT I buy will have the new PDK trans in it.
+1 Very, very well said. One of the best tip vs manual opinions I've had ever read. Totally agree! Tip works for me?

Quick Reply: Tip vs. Manual