Sponsored by:

I have P0410 and p1411 codes...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:10 AM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have P0410 and p1411 codes...

Both codes are secondary air injection codes for both banks. I got them right after a drive through the mountains and I thought the elevation change might be the cause. I cleared the codes and kept my eye on it. It came back after 2 weeks. I haven't noticed any boost changes since the codes arrived. I did verify that the SAI pump runs as normal. DVs have been known to cause this so I checked the vaccuum side of the DVs and they didn't seem to have any obvious leaks. A mity vac was not available and would probably be the way to go in case the leak is small. I have searched and found numerous posts on this with 50% being solved by DVs and the other 50% by replacing change-over valves on top of the engine. I am not sure how to test the valves on top of the engine that is responible for the changeover for SAI. I have replacement DVs coming right now and will change them regardless because they are the originals from my research. Any thought or experience with this? Thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by haulinkraut
Both codes are secondary air injection codes for both banks. I got them right after a drive through the mountains and I thought the elevation change might be the cause. I cleared the codes and kept my eye on it. It came back after 2 weeks. I haven't noticed any boost changes since the codes arrived. I did verify that the SAI pump runs as normal. DVs have been known to cause this so I checked the vaccuum side of the DVs and they didn't seem to have any obvious leaks. A mity vac was not available and would probably be the way to go in case the leak is small. I have searched and found numerous posts on this with 50% being solved by DVs and the other 50% by replacing change-over valves on top of the engine. I am not sure how to test the valves on top of the engine that is responible for the changeover for SAI. I have replacement DVs coming right now and will change them regardless because they are the originals from my research. Any thought or experience with this? Thanks.
No direct experience except I have driven my 996 Turbo through the mountains (up to 7700 feet above sea level (just outside of Flagstaff)) and have never had the check engine light go on. Oh, and I've started the car many times from cold to hot in that area as well.

The secondary air injection system can be activated by the PST2. If you do not have access to this you can do some tests manually.

You have already verified the pump runs, so the next step would be to check for vacuum system leaks. To do this correctly almost certainly requires a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum and see how long the vacuum holds.

There is a test for the electric change over valve but it too requires the PST2 tool to trigger the pump -- I believe a suitable Mity Vac tool is almost a must have item in one's tool box with these cars -- then measure voltage at pins 1 and 2.

The next test is to remove the vacuum hose of the electric change over valve with the engine running and verify vacuum is present.

Another test to check the change over valve's operation is to run the engine briefly to produce a vacuum, then activate the secondary air injection pump and remove the vacuum hose of the air change over valve and after activation of the pump check the air change over valve for continuity.

A short cut, shade tree mechanic method might be to do the vacuum tests and if these all pass then to just replace the change over valve. Before this though I'd examine its electrical connections to make sure they're sound.

Of course, I suggest replacing this change over valve without knowing its cost nor the amount of effort required to change it.

Yet another idea is to wait for the new DVs and install them then see if the secondary air errors return.

Or take the car to someone who has the PST2 and knows how to use it and pay for some diagnostics time and come away with a pretty good idea what's wrong.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 AM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
No direct experience except I have driven my 996 Turbo through the mountains (up to 7700 feet above sea level (just outside of Flagstaff)) and have never had the check engine light go on. Oh, and I've started the car many times from cold to hot in that area as well.

The secondary air injection system can be activated by the PST2. If you do not have access to this you can do some tests manually.

You have already verified the pump runs, so the next step would be to check for vacuum system leaks. To do this correctly almost certainly requires a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum and see how long the vacuum holds.

There is a test for the electric change over valve but it too requires the PST2 tool to trigger the pump -- I believe a suitable Mity Vac tool is almost a must have item in one's tool box with these cars -- then measure voltage at pins 1 and 2.

The next test is to remove the vacuum hose of the electric change over valve with the engine running and verify vacuum is present.

Another test to check the change over valve's operation is to run the engine briefly to produce a vacuum, then activate the secondary air injection pump and remove the vacuum hose of the air change over valve and after activation of the pump check the air change over valve for continuity.

A short cut, shade tree mechanic method might be to do the vacuum tests and if these all pass then to just replace the change over valve. Before this though I'd examine its electrical connections to make sure they're sound.

Of course, I suggest replacing this change over valve without knowing its cost nor the amount of effort required to change it.

Yet another idea is to wait for the new DVs and install them then see if the secondary air errors return.

Or take the car to someone who has the PST2 and knows how to use it and pay for some diagnostics time and come away with a pretty good idea what's wrong.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Sound advice as always, Mac. I will look into some locals with Durametric.

Quick Reply: I have P0410 and p1411 codes...