2 weeks of 996 turbo ownership

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastboy
That story is so beautiful!
I would have stopped and told the cop that the dude was constantly trying to egg me on to race him. the cop would have taken extra steps to make sure that jerk stays off the roda!
Good lesson here. I get challenged more than you would think. Just remember that if you race and the other car loses control and hits someone else or injures them, you are liable as well. Don't race; stand down, let them go by and save it for the track.

Jay
Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I totally agree about racing on public roads its just a bad idea all around. The original poster as far as I can tell hasn't posted in almost a year.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I just laugh because most are kids and you know darn well if you did go you would beat them by quit a bit. Don't need to prove a thing, they know these turbos are fast, and I for one don't need to get hit up for street racing or cause an accident or kill someone!

Some of the stuff that tries to egg you on is just pitafull. I think they just want to see you take off! Not going to happen!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:54 PM
carbonjim996tt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm fully expecting this when I pick up my TT next week. I'm into the driving experience not feeding some want- to- be's stupid need for a testosterone check..... they generally have none!

In California or anywhere it is just plain stupid. Why can't we get them off of the road?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:30 PM
996turbo4365
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rd.cullen
I have just ticked over two weeks with the 2003 996 Turbo. I have a rattling single mass flywheel, a communications system that won't see my phone and gives me CD when I press AM (no AM) and otherwise I am ecstatic. Just ran round trip to Squamish from Vancouver with a motorcyle and a mustang breaking trail. Absolutely thrilling. Have found the road to the Cypress Mt ski area is also a blast off season.

Wondering how the originator of this thread (began Dec 12, 2010) feels about his Pro anc Con list 3 years later?

Pros:
The ability to stay with or outpace almost anything on the road - have not met a Viper or a Corvette yet
Tight handling - have not lost the rear end yet and wondering how much warning I will get, if any, before it lets go
Watching the fuel consumption averager drop in value as I added some highway miles to the city miles it had been full of.

Pros
-I love how simple the interior is. All of the interior buttons are very easy to figure out.
-Handling is outstanding. Coming from many BMWs and Mercedes (all upgraded suspension) the Porsche is definately a better handling car. Even with the H&R lowering springs, I don't find the ride overly harsh.
-The power was intially frightening but it's funny how fast one gets used to it. I'll definately be calling Kevin in the early spring for a flash.
-For a 7 year old car, it still looks like sex on wheels. I hear the occaisonal "nice car" comment.
-The visability is great. I also considered getting an M6 but I just couldn't see over the long nose/hood.

Cons
-Little road racer kids weaving through traffic wanting to race.
-I tend to visit the gas station more frequently. Maybe due to a smaller tank than my previous BMW. I'm not complaining because I look at it as admission price for a roller coaster ride. Just plain fun.
-I do notice the Porsche "tax" when it comes to parts and service.

Where did you buy your TT, from vancouver and not too many to choose from.

Quick Reply: 2 weeks of 996 turbo ownership