Alarm installation and door lock wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 AM
B951S
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alarm installation and door lock wiring help

Hi all,
I am installing an alarm system into my 01 996TT. its a steelmate 888N with 2 way paging. I have most of it sussed but am a little stuck with working out how to interface with alarm door lock wiring with the factory system. Looking for which 'lock' and 'open' wires on the lock switches should be paired up with the alarm lock/open triggers, and if they should be sent GND or 12v (looks like they are all contact to ground so would follow the 'negative trigger' scheme).

I have included both the alarm and factory diagrams. Hope someone can help point me in the right direction, cheers.
Attached Images   

Last edited by B951S; 11-28-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:36 AM
B951S
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, got it sorted. The alarm control unit is under the passenger seat. After a week of intense study of wiring diagrams, I realized most of the connections for an after market alarm are right there.

-door locks are -ve trigger for open / close, patch into 2 wires on the factory alarm harness.
-door triggers are via a pull to ground signal within the lighting logic available on the factory alarm harness (single wire covers both doors).
-hood release motor +ve signal is on the factory alarm harness
-hood status (-ve for open) is there on the factory alarm harness
- positive signal wires (2) for flashers are in the factory alarm unit harness
-other signals (accessory posn +ve, etc) are all in the harness heading thats heads up towards the trunk at the leading edge of the sill.

I now have a full 2 way system with microwave sensor. Press the alarm unit and it locks the doors activating it and the factory alarm. I really like the pre-warning it gives on the remote if anyone is lingering around the car. Works up to a mile or so away so great when out at restaurants etc.

Not for the faint of heart or those not familiar with jumping into the electrics of a car as complex as the 996, but it quite easy if you take you time and work methodically.

Heres a pic of the unit next to the factory alarm.
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, not for the faint of heart! Well done. I've seen other designs where you have to place a spare key in a box so the alarm control sees a valid code.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:18 PM
ImBenDood
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is over a decade old, but do you by chance have a guide of what wires (colors) do what? I am currently trying to do the same and the only wire color guides I see online are basic/incomplete.... any help is appreciated

Originally Posted by B951S
Ok, got it sorted. The alarm control unit is under the passenger seat. After a week of intense study of wiring diagrams, I realized most of the connections for an after market alarm are right there.

-door locks are -ve trigger for open / close, patch into 2 wires on the factory alarm harness.
-door triggers are via a pull to ground signal within the lighting logic available on the factory alarm harness (single wire covers both doors).
-hood release motor +ve signal is on the factory alarm harness
-hood status (-ve for open) is there on the factory alarm harness
- positive signal wires (2) for flashers are in the factory alarm unit harness
-other signals (accessory posn +ve, etc) are all in the harness heading thats heads up towards the trunk at the leading edge of the sill.

I now have a full 2 way system with microwave sensor. Press the alarm unit and it locks the doors activating it and the factory alarm. I really like the pre-warning it gives on the remote if anyone is lingering around the car. Works up to a mile or so away so great when out at restaurants etc.

Not for the faint of heart or those not familiar with jumping into the electrics of a car as complex as the 996, but it quite easy if you take you time and work methodically.

Heres a pic of the unit next to the factory alarm.

Quick Reply: Alarm installation and door lock wiring help