Sponsored by:

Recent Purchase Activities and Winter Tires Rigging

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 PM
akfalar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recent Purchase Activities and Winter Tires Rigging

So yea, coming off a recent purchase there have been some new sensations. Listening intently to that rattle at idle, foreboding until hitting the rennlist for solace.

The urge to upgrade, rig, and maintain.

The feeling you get in the morning before heading to work, that this beautiful thing is waiting for you in the garage.

SO:
I did the UMW tune. Immediately there after i notice a new beast, yet just as quickly, it began to miss vigorously at 4k. So back to tinkering. I got the 997 coil updates and new plugs and dug into it that very friday night. 8-hrs later I was getting it. Turning the key revealed smoothness and success. Damn this car is fast.

So yea, its running smoothly and I have this sneaking suspicion the OEM never-been changed clutch (55kmiles) will be a casualty of my pursuit.

Ultimate Winter Tire Tech:
So, living in Alaska requires studded tires for a much improved driving experience. I have had great success with the ubiquitous Nokian Hekkepellita's and Cooper' studded line. SO getting my 996 TT i thought i would get the Porsche recommended rims (which i did) for winter duty and go and find tires and be done with it. The rims had Dunlop Winter Sports on them. I tried them after the first snow and they were scary Useless . No such luck. I called every tireshop in town and they flat out turned me away in regards to a STUDDED solution. So i called Tirerack, Again nothing. Tiresbyweb was also called. So i turned to the series of tubes and tried to figure out tire measurements etc.... Ans as it turn out, if you are willing to give up a fraction of an inch in tire Width, there is a solution:

Pcar recommended specs: (Note: Look at the Pcar recommended tire diameter mismatch,_)
SUMMER:
225/40-18 Diameter of 25.1"
295/30-18 Diameter of 25.0"

WINTER:
225/40-18 Diameter of 25.1"
265/35-18 Diameter of 25.3"

the front tires are Nokian hakka-5
and I found a rear set on the below size in the Hakka-7 (which have the completely bad *** oval studs)

255/35-18 For the REAR in Studded Diameter of 25.0"

The traction and speed ratings are diminished slightly, however, who is running over 120mph in the dead of winter?
Anyway, the traction is exactly what i expected and its nothing short of fabulous. traction control = OFF and Drive on!

So how should i go about the clutch? Light weight flywheel? I am interested in keeping the car not overly modified... Its a daily driver. What's Next?

Last edited by akfalar; 11-23-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:05 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Hmmm... If you get into that clutch, you might want to think about getting rid of the crappy clutch hydraulics while you're in there... doing it later will cost you the labor to remove it again... IF you can stand a stiffer pedal. I don't mind it at all...

I have a UMW spec'ed Clutchmasters kit with a lightweight flywheel and Fibertuff lined GT3 Sprung hub clutch. If you're keeping it strictly for street, the dual mass flywheel might be a better choice... Def. Chat with Kevin. You're in good hands there.

And btw, Kevin's tunes kill stock clutches... He's known for that... That nice flat, broad torque curve rewards you instantly with this issue... I went form an Upsolute tune (previous owner) and Kevin's turbos to his UMW based K16/24 software and killed a clutch that the Upsolute junk wouldn't stress... So there's that, for sure... And it's well worth every bit of slip... You're getting more pep and power...

Mike

Quick Reply: Recent Purchase Activities and Winter Tires Rigging