996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio stop working? Pull a fuse...

Old 10-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Radio stop working? Pull a fuse...

Got my 03 Turbo back from dealer the other day after having it in for an oil/filter service.

Got up this AM and on the way to work turned on the radio and while the radio all lit up like always, no sound. AM, FM, even CD player silent.

Everything looked ok.

A bit worried this was a precursor to more serious problems to come -- electrical in nature -- I swung by dealership. Techs told me to pull a fuse. I was going to write the fuse location down but one of the techs told me "just kidding" and service manager said one of the techs would do it.

I walked outside to call the office and by the time I got back the tech had doen the deed and radio was once again working just fine.

Was told that if I could shut the car off, lock it, and after 30 minutes or so all the electronics systems shut down it would fix itself.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup. Known F/W bug in the amplifier.
Make sure your dealer has updated all the infotainment device software...that should correct it.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
Yup. Known F/W bug in the amplifier.
Make sure your dealer has updated all the infotainment device software...that should correct it.
Updates? News to me. Thanks. I'll check in with service manager Monday and see about getting it done.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Software update via PIWIS...originally it was via cd-rom.
It is a DSP initialization problem that occurs very infrequently, a cold boot almost always "fixes" it.

Same for Carreras, boxsters and even the Cayenne
Old 10-22-2010, 07:52 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I thought it was just a blown fuse in the amp...which does happen. Thanks for the info. Lewis.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
Software update via PIWIS...originally it was via cd-rom.
It is a DSP initialization problem that occurs very infrequently, a cold boot almost always "fixes" it.

Same for Carreras, boxsters and even the Cayenne
Yep. Mentioned the symptom to the parts manager and he said his Cayenne did the same thing every once in a while.

Don't know if it was he or the service manager that said if I just shut off the engine and locked the car after 30 minutes the electronics shuts down and this is a reset of the system and the symptom would be gone.

First time this symptom has appeared so it caught me by surprise.

Also, only once I had a non-working CD changer (6-CD changer in the trunk) but a disconnect and reconnect of the magazine fixed that symptom.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I thought it was just a blown fuse in the amp...which does happen. Thanks for the info. Lewis.
There is no fuse in the amp.
You are not allowed to design an inaccessible fuse into the amp for Porsche.
You are allowed to have the fuse on the outside of the amp, but it is frowned upon since these modules are usually behind trim panels, etc and not accessible.

No, I really don't miss it
Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
There is no fuse in the amp.
You are not allowed to design an inaccessible fuse into the amp for Porsche.
You are allowed to have the fuse on the outside of the amp, but it is frowned upon since these modules are usually behind trim panels, etc and not accessible.

No, I really don't miss it
Uhhh...well explain this thread then
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Nothing to explain.
I was referring to the amplifier design criteria, not the headunits.

The headunits are obivously not located in an inaccessible location, therefore they are allowed to carry fuses on the rear panel, since radio removal keys allow for easy extraction.

In the past, there have been (high current) fuses installed in amplifiers, but that trend has been diminished. Many OEMs now specify that the modules be able to withstand double battery jump start input conditions, load dump inputs and reverse input polarity without blowing any fuse (even the ones in the main fuse panel).
Old 03-20-2011, 01:58 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had this happen on my 03 turbo last night. I stopped and went to buy some groceries and when I started back up 10 minutes latter all was working again. First time it has happened to me in 3 1/2 years owning the car.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by jimq
I had this happen on my 03 turbo last night. I stopped and went to buy some groceries and when I started back up 10 minutes latter all was working again. First time it has happened to me in 3 1/2 years owning the car.
Same thing happened to my Turbo just a few days ago.

Got in the car and Turned on the key and waited a moment then started the engine. Out of the corner of my eye caught the radio doing goofy things.

Turned off the radio then turned it back on and while it appeared to come on I tried various buttons and while all worked there was no sound. Didn't remember the fuse to pull and had to run some errands during which I had to shut off the engine and lock the car.

After the errands I was on the way by the dealer to stop in and ask for the fuse and on a hunch tried the radio and all was well again.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Pulling the fuse is the quick/direct method.
The more "subtle" method is to simply turn off the ignition, exit and lock the vehicle.
After a few minutes, the MOST devices will "go to sleep". They are all hardwired to the battery and not connected to the ignition/switched battery circuit...so their "sleep" is a specified and software controlled event to save battery power.
When you re-enter the car, a new initialization sequence will commence and the chances are 99%+ that the DSP will properly initialize and you will have sound.
Nothing more to it than that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio stop working? Pull a fuse...