Sponsored by:

Studded Snow tires for a TT....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 AM
akfalar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Studded Snow tires for a TT....

I have the pcna recommended rims so now i have been searching for the correct tires to put on my 2002 turbo.

The Fronts are Nokian studded
225-40-R18

The Rear should be 265-35R18

I have found a 255-35R18. (Nokian Hakka 7) As far as i know, there are no Studded tires that come in the correct size. Yes, i have consulted Tirerack, and i REALLY need studded tires. I'll post some pics this winter and you will see why.

Would someone know if this variance is acceptable? Again i will be using studded on both front and back.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is no studded tires in the correct dimension. Go to a tire shop and ask if they can put in studs in the tire.

A few years ago I was up north of Sweden and was driving on a frozen lake. Porsche had set in long studs in the tires, which made it illegal to drive them on public roads, but what a fantastic grip it gave.

Studded tires are much better when it's icy on the roads. Not legal in all countries, but it is really making a difference.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2001tt and run Blizzaks in the winter. There is only one size and tire type available for the tt so I would stick with that. They are amazing and work really well on ice, if that is your issue. Do you need studs because of very steep driveways or roads you frequent?

You may need a narrower wheel to mount the 255s anyway, they will also look funnier than the 265s on the stock wheels. The car looks awkward enough on the 265s on 11 inch wide rims but it is barely ok, any narower and you need a different offset to get the wheel closer to the fender. On the other hand if looks do not matter it is safer to have them in the fender so as not to throw up rocks and sand.

Looks aside I beleive you have to be careful of the sizes due to the AWD aspect and if you differ too much, I beleive 3%, in outside diameter you can have issues with the differentials. Should check that before changing sizes.

The Blizzaks are an amazing tire so if you haven't tried them you may want to give it a shot.

Tytus
Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 AM
akfalar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 10" wheels in the back so the 265/35 should fit fine.

I live up about 1500' a from the main road. We have water lubricated ice at times throughout the year. Studs are highly recommended. I suppose I could chain up the rears on occasions.

If the 255/35 would work That would be ideal.

Quick Reply: Studded Snow tires for a TT....