Clanking Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Clanking Brake Pads

Evening...

Just installed the six piston front calipers on the turbo (already had 350mm solid front rotors on the car) with no issues, installed new PFC pads and buttoned up the car and took for a drive. Excellent breaking, but....

... the brake pads clank and chatter badly. I am amazed how loud they clank over bumps and tar strips... you'd think my shock tops where not bolted down. Apply the brakes while driving over bumps and strips -- perfectly quiet. Now all that came with the calipers from Porsche where the large center pin. (with screw end) There were no backing plates or spring type clips... is this correct? What am I missing, some type of anti-chatter plate?

TIA for any input and intelligence.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't want any springs or shims with racing pads. I've never used PFC's so can't address the clanking. My Pagids never do that.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Evening...

Just installed the six piston front calipers on the turbo (already had 350mm solid front rotors on the car) with no issues, installed new PFC pads and buttoned up the car and took for a drive. Excellent breaking, but....

... the brake pads clank and chatter badly. I am amazed how loud they clank over bumps and tar strips... you'd think my shock tops where not bolted down. Apply the brakes while driving over bumps and strips -- perfectly quiet. Now all that came with the calipers from Porsche where the large center pin. (with screw end) There were no backing plates or spring type clips... is this correct? What am I missing, some type of anti-chatter plate?

TIA for any input and intelligence.

Have not yet done the brakes on my 03 Turbo. I've done the brakes many times on my 02 Boxster. The brakes appear to be the same in their mechancial characteristics.

The pads are held in the pad cavity of the caliper by a retainer spring that fits on top of the pads against the backing plates. This retainer spring is itself held in place by a retaining pin that fits through holes in the caliper. To properly fit this pin the retaining spring has to be depressed. This applies some force to the pads and keeps the pads from rattling about. The retaining pin is kept secure by a spring clip that fits through a hole on the pin's unshouldered end.

Now the Boxster doesn't use them -- Porsche had a change of heart on these -- but the Turbo pads requires vibration damper pads -- one each -- fitted to the pad backing plate. These keep the pad from generating a high pitched and sometimes quite loud squeal while under way.

When I replace the pads I order a brake hardware kit -- one for each "axle" - that contains 2 new retainer springs, 2 pins, 2 clips, and IIRC 4 rotor philips screws. I also order and install new caliper bolts and new wear sensors.

From your post it is not clear and maybe I'm mis-reading it, but it almost reads like the pads are simply resting in the caliper cavity and held in place by gravity?

If so, I can't believe that is correct but have no experience with any aftermarket brakes so I can't say with 100% confidence it is not correct.

Can you post any pics of the brakes and the pads and how they fit and are held in place?

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
The pads are held in the pad cavity of the caliper by a retainer spring that fits on top of the pads against the backing plates. This retainer spring is itself held in place by a retaining pin that fits through holes in the caliper. To properly fit this pin the retaining spring has to be depressed. This applies some force to the pads and keeps the pads from rattling about. The retaining pin is kept secure by a spring clip that fits through a hole on the pin's unshouldered end.
Yes, the red stock calipers (and most other calipers in my past Porsches) used clips held against the edge of the brake pads via a pin locked with a small cotter pin. There was no such hardware with the GT3 calipers, just a large center pin. Now I am wondering if I didn't get a clip in the caliper package, but I would be surprised. So yes Macster, the pads are just placed in the caliper with no backing plate or clip to apply any pressure of any kind.

Anyone with a GT2 or who has done the six piston conversion know if this is correct? Out on the track I wouldn't give a hoot about the clanking... on the street - not sure I can accept the noise level. (Or all of the people who'll ask, "What is that noise?")

H_D
Old 08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

I believe I have identified the issue by searching through some pictures... I was not provided the clips in the caliper kit. I have ID'd the part in the attached picture.

Where can these be sourced in over-night?

H_D

PS : What do you call these clips?
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 AM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct - that spring clip is missing. Can't contact the seller for these parts? Anyway, here they are on Pelican parts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg4.htm#item10

Part number: 996-351-959-30-M100

Jon
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dantzig
You are correct - that spring clip is missing. Can't contact the seller for these parts? Anyway, here they are on Pelican parts:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...pg4.htm#item10

Part number: 996-351-959-30-M100

Jon
Excellent Jon, thank you very much. I'll be getting an overnight delivery as they should have been included in the kit and were not. The part number was very helpful!

H_D

Quick Reply: Clanking Brake Pads