Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How could a battery go bad so fast...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 PM
isseps
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How could a battery go bad so fast...

I bought my 04 996TT cab last year with 25K miles. It's a CPO. Yesterday I took it to the office and had no problems. This morning it would not start. The battery seems dead. I poped the hood and the battery is an Interstate with 85 months of warranty. Obviously not the original battery. Even if the original lasted for only 4 years, this battery can't be more than 3 years old and I have a Porsche maintainer on it too. I had the auto club tow it to the dealer. Do you think I may have a short in the car? Anyone with a similar issues? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by isseps
I bought my 04 996TT cab last year with 25K miles. It's a CPO. Yesterday I took it to the office and had no problems. This morning it would not start. The battery seems dead. I poped the hood and the battery is an Interstate with 85 months of warranty. Obviously not the original battery. Even if the original lasted for only 4 years, this battery can't be more than 3 years old and I have a Porsche maintainer on it too. I had the auto club tow it to the dealer. Do you think I may have a short in the car? Anyone with a similar issues? Thanks.
Well, I might be more pessimistic than most but imho the battery did its job. Its 85 month warranty sucked you in and when you take the battery back and get some credit you walk out with a new Interstate battery.

The idea is not to sell you a battery that lasts but a battery that doesn't and brings you back to get credit and another battery, over and over and over again.

Sure there might be an electrical problem. You'll have to check for excessive parasitic electrical loads with everything off and check the alternator delivers suitable power to charge the battery and supply the car's electrical needs while running.

I have an Interstate battery in my 03 Turbo. Car (used) came with it. Not my choice. As soon as the Interstate battery requires replacement I'm going to yank it out pronto. Not sure what I'll replace it with. I've had good luck with the OEM battery in my 02 Boxster. The battery lasted around 7 years. I might just drop in an OEM battery onto the Turbo and see if the good battery life repeats.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Batteries are usually good for about 5 years, give or take.
Failure modes are due to mechanical/vibration (cracked/shorted plates) and electrochemical (improper type of electrolyte, improper charging, etc).

On a more recent note, most batteries are no longer using virgin lead; rather reclaimed/recycled lead...which is not as good as virgin lead from a plate perspective, so again, problems will occur.

If you want something a bit more 'reliable' and have about $2400 available, Porsche will sell you their Lithium based lightweight battery, which should be a bit more reliable.....
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._Code=997TURBO
Old 07-18-2010, 10:11 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

they go fast if you dont drive the car a lot. it could have a shorted cell in a day
Old 07-19-2010, 07:14 PM
MitchW
Advanced

I have an 04 as well, and it is on its 3rd battery. I've put a trickle charger on it, but hard to tell if it is working as the new battery is only a few months old. Be sure to keep the car locked when you are not using it as it will use a fair amount of juice when not locked with the alarm armed.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

same problem. i bought a 04 TT cab last august and its interstate battery lasted until march. I agree if car sits long the battery just dies
Old 07-20-2010, 10:40 AM
BostonDuce
Racer

FWIW, I was able to use a CTEK 7002 changer set on "recondition" to bring a battery back to life that refused to take any other charging method.

That Porsche lithium battery was interesting until I found out that it doesn't work below 32 degrees. Porsche says you have to change it out during cool months.

BD
Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My battery has been showing signs of weakness although I only take the car out on weekends. I figure with my use any battery I put in it will need a maintainer to make it last more than a year.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Everything you wanted to know, and then some: http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/carfaq2.htm#die

In a hot climate, the harshest environment for a battery, a Johnson Controls survey of junk batteries revealed that the average life of a car battery was 37 months. In a separate North American study by BCI, the average life was 48 months. In a study by Interstate Batteries, the life expectancy in extreme heat was 30 months. If your car battery is more than three years old and you live in a hot climate, then your battery is probably living on borrowed time. Abnormally slow cranking, especially on a cold day, is another good indication that your battery is going bad. It should be externally recharged, surface charge removed, and load tested. Dead batteries almost always occur at the most inopportune times. You can easily spend the cost of a new battery or more for an emergency jump start, tow or taxi ride.
That entire site is a wealth of good info on automotive batteries.

/m
Old 08-30-2010, 07:28 PM
isseps
Advanced

So they replaced the battery with a new one about 45 days ago. Last week I was out of town and the car sat in the garage unlocked with key in the ignition. When I got into the car, the battery was totally dead. Normal?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 251 Likes on 221 Posts

So they replaced the battery with a new one about 45 days ago. Last week I was out of town and the car sat in the garage unlocked with key in the ignition. When I got into the car, the battery was totally dead. Normal?
Can't say. I've never left the key in the ignition for more than a few moments if I'm not going to start the engine and drive the car.

The key's presence might keep more of the car's electrical systems "alive" (powered up) and the parasitic load that is normally present can be increased substantially.

For instance, if the Ecu is alive it can draw considerable power that can have even a top tier/top notch battery dead in just a few days. (Since I write firmware for vehicle test equipment I have to be very careful I avoid 'talking" to the car's various controllers due to spurious signals lest I wake up the engine/drivetrain controllers and run down the battery.)

Unless someone chips in that he's left his car parked with the key in the ignition and has had no battery problem I'm going to suspect the key in the ignition caused the battery's premature demise.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

What I was told, by both Porsche technicians and two indies, was that you're best bet for a healthy battery were to LOCK THE CAR with the keyfob even when the car is sitting locked away in the garage. I was told that when the car is unlocked, the locking interface allowed the multiple computers to "chatter" back and forth to confirm that they're still all active and ready to perform. A strong battery sill drain slightly. A weak battery will die a quick death within 12-18 hours.

I don't know this is the case, but my current battery was recommended to be replaced two years ago, and I've kept the car locked when I'm not near it (much of that time sitting without running) and the battery still registers the required voltage.

Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 08:51 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

If you leave the key in the ignition the battery will be dead in less than a day...normal. I leave mine unlocked with an interstate maintainer and it works like a charm.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Very normal. When you forget the key in the on position the power consumption rises and can kill a 60Amp /70 Amp battery in a matter hours to few days depending on the car.

John
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slight modification of the above... If you just turn off the key and leave it in the ignition, it will indeed drain the battery quickly as the folks above have said. However, if you turn off the ignition, remove the key, and then reinsert it without turning it, then it will not drain the battery any more than if it were removed.

If you lock the car with the key fob, as Mike said, then after a couple of days the car will go into a deeper sleep mode and consume less power.

Jon

Quick Reply: How could a battery go bad so fast...