Sponsored by:

Rev Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Kerrage
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev Question

I ofter here the term over reved? what does this mean? Is that the term used for bouncing your car off the red line or hitting the rev limiter? Is that really bad at all? Some advertise when selling ther car that it had no over revs? Any thoughts? Just curious. Thanks?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:32 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, it means hitting the rev limiter.

However - there are two types : type 1 and type 2.

Typically, type 1 is assumed to be hitting the rev limiter when accelerating and being too late to change up. Type 2 is assumed to be a "money shift" - i.e. changing to too lower gear and over-revving the engine as a result. Although I've seen posts from people saying they've logged type 2's without that happening.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
Yes, it means hitting the rev limiter.

However - there are two types : type 1 and type 2.

Typically, type 1 is assumed to be hitting the rev limiter when accelerating and being too late to change up. Type 2 is assumed to be a "money shift" - i.e. changing to too lower gear and over-revving the engine as a result. Although I've seen posts from people saying they've logged type 2's without that happening.
I'd say it's certainly possible to get type-2's bouncing off the rev limiter. It's quite a task to ask of the rev limiter. One dealer send me the DME log for a GT3 that I was looking at purchasing and it logged 25 type-2's. Do the math and that seems nearly impossible to perform a "money shift" for such a short duration.

I figure that's why the 997 have more type ranges besides type-1 and type-2... so you can really determine if a money shift has occurred.

/m
Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can also produce type 2 over-revs from a spin. The rev-limiter does not protect the engine, when spun in the reverse direction.

Quick Reply: Rev Question