Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip over. No incidents. Livermore to...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by FixedWing
I'm glad you had a good trip. But I cannot help but think that with the cruise control set at 73 MPH on I-5, the trip could probably have been accomplished more easily, more comfortably, more cheaply and possibly even more quickly in just about any other car (given that just about any other car would have been less conspicuous to the authorities).

Stephen
That pic taken somewhere between Kingman and Needles, maybe in or just past (west of) Needles. I took maybe a half dozen pics along there trying to catch the hottest temp. I slow down when I'm working the camera.

On that leg of the journey -- 200 miles long -- average speed was 76mph and I won't say what the max. speed obtained was. Only from Kingman to CA state line is speed limit 75mph. In CA it is 70mph and in some places 65mph on that stretch of road I-40 through Needles and on into Barstow.

Can't run high speed all the time along there. Once in a while come upon a smokey bear. This time they all were traveling in the opposite direction but believe me if the radar detects a speeder going the other direction they'll cross over and give chase or radio ahead for another patrol car to intercept.

My V1 almost always gives me a warning before I can even see the car with the speed radar.

Oh, on I-5 leg -- 160 miles -- average speed 71mph. This includes the cut across from 99 to I-5 on 55mph roads. 99 and I-5 limited to 70mph.

No bear sign on I-5 and I tucked in behind some "rabbits". These cars come flying up and I move over and let them go ahead and get in maybe an 1/8th of mile behind and let them run interference for me.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 PM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
No bear sign on I-5 and I tucked in behind some "rabbits". These cars come flying up and I move over and let them go ahead and get in maybe an 1/8th of mile behind and let them run interference for me.
What prompted my post was my own thoughts, as I work on temporarily shipping my Turbo over to the USA, of driving it under these conditions. I really do not know if I could stand it.

As for I-5, I once got a ticket on I-5. It was in the mid-80's. I got out of it by pleading not-guilty. Apparently, this town was so rural that no one ever plead not-guilty so they didn't bother actually reading the tickets. When the judge then insisted on having a trial even though the time for trial had lapsed, I got a lawyer who convinced him not to bother.

I received the ticket by being paced from a far using the stopwatch method. Rabbits won't help you with that.

Stephen
Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by FixedWing
What prompted my post was my own thoughts, as I work on temporarily shipping my Turbo over to the USA, of driving it under these conditions. I really do not know if I could stand it.

As for I-5, I once got a ticket on I-5. It was in the mid-80's. I got out of it by pleading not-guilty. Apparently, this town was so rural that no one ever plead not-guilty so they didn't bother actually reading the tickets. When the judge then insisted on having a trial even though the time for trial had lapsed, I got a lawyer who convinced him not to bother.

I received the ticket by being paced from a far using the stopwatch method. Rabbits won't help you with that.

Stephen
Even when contrained to the posted limits the Turbo's a nice drive. There are other places besides I-5 where one can drive a bit more <static> with some reasonable precautions to ensure a suitable safety level is maintained.

I don't know where, but there's a jurisdiction that I-5 passes through that has a judge that presides over the court there that prides himself on the number of speeding drivers' licenses he's confiscated. You're lucky you weren't pulled over in his area.

Rabbits help cause if they're running in front of you they attract the attention of the observing officer, who's using VASCAR. He can't track but one car and he's not going to let any speeding car go by in the hopes of snagging a Turbo. I only spotted one other 996 Turbo my whole trip, this one a speed yellow one on I-40 east of Amarillo TX.

Now sometimes there is more than one car. I've spotted up to a half dozen but in every case I knew their location from my V1's early warning. Once not too many trips ago on the section of I-40 between Needles and Barstow got an alarm on the V1. Got to looking around and spotted a low flying small plane off the side of the freeway. Bear in the Air! The V1 alarmed on the radar emissions from at least one patrol car parked on the shoulder. Pursuit cars. But the V1 gave me enough warning that by the time the plane was along side I was a bit under the limit. I always slow a few miles per hour under the limit when the V1 alarms just in case. Went by the two cars -- both on the other side of the freeway -- a mile or so down the road.

Thankfully where I drive almost all speed traps use radar with a few using laser. Most of the traps I pass are already tripped with a LEO on the shoulder with a "customer".

On the open highway I monitor the big rig trucker CB radio traffic and from this chatter learn of various bear traps. Although this last trip I hardly ever used the CB radio. I have traveled this route many times and know where the bears like to hang out. They have some pretty good places, but I am aware of them.

After the stationary bear trap, the next most common encounter is from a radar signal from an oncoming car with the car of course heading the other direction. I watch these cars carefully. I've seen it often enough so I am aware of it.: They'll spot the Porsche -- at least I think it is the car -- and execute a u-turn and come up from behind.

Ignoring the car that crosses over the median much less common is a patrol car coming up from behind. Wtih the V1 and checking the rear view mirror I can usually spot the car and know how far back it is. Also, the signal strength of the V1 helps as well. I can even tell if the following car is gaining on me or holding steady or dropping behind. Most often they pull a u-turn and take off after another vehicle coming towards them. Though I had one sheriff's car follow me for miles on day in eastern KS.

Bring your Turbo to the USA and have a nice time with it. As I started with the Turbo's a nice drive at any speed.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, I'm well aware of the consequences of speeding in this country. The photo is of me being arrested for driving 99 MPH in a 65 MPH zone in Connecticut.

I have no doubt that if you are careful you can avoid most speeding tickets. I recently drove an Audi from Connecticut to southwest Florida, around Florida and then back again. Lots of near misses but no tickets.

But compare that to the sort of driving I was doing in Europe where, for example, I've driven from Aix-en-Provence to Brussels in a morning and from Brussels to Rome in a day. At those speeds, it is dangerous to keep one eye out for cops. You need all of your attention for driving.

Stephen

Old 07-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Macster
Race Director

No way you can drive here like you describe driving in Europe. I read several UK car mags and am second hand familiar with driving in the UK and the continent and good time can be made and not only on the German autobahns.

It does seem a pity when I'm out on the open freeway at least in the vast almost empty areas to not be able to up my car's speed to say 90mph or even a might faster legally. But AFAIK 80mph is the fastest one can travel legally on interstates and this only on a couple of west Texas freeways and during daylight hours.

In other places, 75mph and even 70mph the norm and in some areas this drops to 65mph. Sigh.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bureaucrats suck.

Quick Reply: Road trip over. No incidents. Livermore to...