Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on "dry bearing noise"...Part deux...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Update on "dry bearing noise"...Part deux...

or trey I've lost count.

Turned out to be the cheapest of the several idler/roller bearings. The one up by/next to the power steering pump.

Non-functioning passenger side radiator fan was due to the hub/blade assembly coming off the motor -- shaft snapped. Tech has never seen this before. Not only did he need to replace the fan motor but the radiator fins on the back side got smashed and while the radiator was not leaking it was replaced.

I had asked the transmission and differential fluids be changed and after removing the body panels to gain access to the tranny the tech spotted a transmission leak.

Cause car still covered by CPO a replacement transmssion was ordered from Germany. Techs told me that had the car not been covered by a waranty they can remove the tranny, replace the leaking seal and attend to any other things that need attending to so a transmission replacement is not the only solution to a leaking transmssion.

In addition I noticed signs of the coolant cap leaking and sure enough tech pressure tested system after replacing radiator and found the system to be pressure tight but when he tested the cap found it to be leaking. Replaced. Cap part number ends in "04".

Had new serpentine belt fitted along with new engine air filter. Since these items were very exposed during the idler roller repair what the heck and they were due.

Oh, new rear tires fitted -- 15K miles on these -- and an alignment done.

Thankfully, and given the car required a new transmission to address the selector shaft seal leak -- the seal I'm told is the same seal used in the NA Carrera 6-speed transmission -- along with the new fan motor, radiator, and idler bearing, these items were covered by the car's CPO warranty.

I paid for new tires, oil/filter change (I supplied the oil), a discounted alignment, and an hour's labor to have the radiator ducts cleaned out.

Car is back now after having been in the shop since May 31st. Will give the car a few weeks of shake down driving -- just general running about -- to make sure all is well then re-schedule a much needed week off and take the car on a nice week long road trip.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you got a new tranny due to a leak?!?! thats awesome!
Old 06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No one gets a 'new' engine or transmission. They are almost always factory remanufactured units (although there are some reman units that are just units that were reworked at the factory and not field/customer returns).
Old 06-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
No one gets a 'new' engine or transmission. They are almost always factory remanufactured units (although there are some reman units that are just units that were reworked at the factory and not field/customer returns).
Can't say about every case, but in my case, in the case of this transmission I think you're right.

I was told a new tranmission would be fitted. I noted though on the paperwork the old and new tranmission serial numbers were listed and the "new" transmission has an 'X' at the end of the serial number.

My info is that this denotes not a new transmission (or engine) but a remanufactured one.

Ok by me. New transmission fluid tight and the shifting is much improved. This wasn't why it was replaced though, and in fact I never brought the shifting up to the service manager. I just assumed the shifting was normal or something I was doing.

But this new transmission shifts darn near as quick and as smooth as my Boxster's transmission.

I don't know if the difference is the transmission, the tech when he installed the new transmission did himself proud regarding the shift linkage adjustment, or it was just luck, but the shifting is much much better.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Update on "dry bearing noise"...Part deux...