Some Advice on 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Todds911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Advice on 996TT

Hi,

I am new to this particular forum. I sold my 83 911 Targa and my 99 996 Aero recently, and am considering the 996TT. I don't have much experience with the 996TT, but over at the 996 forum they use to say they are "bullet proof" and come from the same engine case as the old air cooled, and therefore did not suffer some of the issues with the MK1 996 non-turbo (perceived or not). Are they common problems to be aware of? Any significant improvements in going from 2001 up to 2004?

Also, is there a mileage concern here? I see them out there with > 100k miles in the high $20k's and low mileage cars in the mid $60k's (usually the new 2004's). Any thoughts would be helpful as I get started on my quest for the perfect car!

Thanks,
Todd
Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 996 Turbo is perhaps the worlds most reliable supercar.
Rennlist member T2 has over 250K miles on his 03 996 Turbo X50, driven year round in New England.

The 996 Turbo does have the Metzger GT1 derived dry sump engine...perhaps the best production engine ever designed by Porsche. It does not have RMS issues like the wet sump 996 Carrera engine.

Early 01s had front bumperettes (warts....thanks DOT) and solid spoke wheels...these were phased out early on in the rollout.
02's introduced the glove box, Bose audio and subject to debate, frame stiffening enhancements.

Lots of information regarding the model years, but they have been very reliable and have had normal/minor TSB's over the years.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Also check out the thread stuck at the top of the fourm.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...questions.html

The first post has links to 2 very useful threads/discussions for first time buyers.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mileage is a concern; you would not want to buy one with over 250,000 miles unless you can put some $ aways for an eventual rebuild. But seriously, they are pretty bullettproof and don't seem to have the issues that the M96 engines supposedly have. Get a good PPI.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Todds911
Instructor

Thanks. Good info.

250k miles??? Wow! Did not know the TT was a diesel engine (kidding!).

I'm just starting to learn about the X50 option...
Old 06-11-2010, 12:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I think he is still on his original clutch as well.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:40 PM
BostonDuce
Racer

Originally Posted by Todds911
Are they common problems to be aware of?
Any car is going to have its own proprietary issues. Some due to design, some due to 'operator error', some due to just use.

Some of the more common issues which you can search for are failed coolant tanks, assorted oil leaks, blown diverter valves (especially with HP upgrades), punctured/clogged front radiators, assorted oil leaks, failed turbo seals (oil in intake). Some of these go away the later in production you go, some do not.

The biggest recurring PIA's are the spark plugs hidden in the dark side of the moon, and the glass jaw coil packs.

Most of the above are just annoying (until they happen to you), however, if you need to replace a major component without warranty protection, such as an entire transmission or an engine replacement, the turbo (regardless of the model year), will vacuum your wallet just like any other exotic.

"Bullet Proof" is a relative term. Compared to a Ferrari or Lambo-yes; compared to a 'Toyonda' no.

The last run was in 2005, with a limited run of TT coupes but mostly TTS Cabs into which the factory decided to flush everything that was left over in the turbo parts bin, including ceramic brakes and the X50 pack.

BD
Old 06-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Todds911
Hi,

I am new to this particular forum. I sold my 83 911 Targa and my 99 996 Aero recently, and am considering the 996TT. I don't have much experience with the 996TT, but over at the 996 forum they use to say they are "bullet proof" and come from the same engine case as the old air cooled, and therefore did not suffer some of the issues with the MK1 996 non-turbo (perceived or not). Are they common problems to be aware of? Any significant improvements in going from 2001 up to 2004?

Also, is there a mileage concern here? I see them out there with > 100k miles in the high $20k's and low mileage cars in the mid $60k's (usually the new 2004's). Any thoughts would be helpful as I get started on my quest for the perfect car!

Thanks,
Todd
Engine may be bullet proof (and one thing that attracted me to the Turbo was the word from many sources (techs I speak with and trust included) the Turbo engine one very very sound powerplant), but there are other things besides a non-existent IMS failing.

Now I haven't heard of any engine internal problems. External, but engine related are probably the most expensive items and these are the turbos. They seem to last a long time as long as a good oil used, changed at reasonable intervals, and the engine allowed to idle some before shutting the engine off. This last thing is debated somewhat but IIRC it is mentioned in the owners manual. I allow the engine to idle some before shutting the engine off.

Moving away from the engine comes the transmission. Now my 03 is in for an tranny oil leak, a shifter shaft seal. Leak not severe thank goodness. Now car is covered by warranty so Porsche will supply a new replacement transmission to replace the leaking one.

My info is Porsche doesn't offer spare parts, special tooling, instructions/training to rebuild these transmissions. (They have been around since IIRC '87 and are based on the G50 and are a very very mature and debugged transmission.)

As a result if one had a car that developed a leak or something more serious he could be looking at a transmission replacement that could run around $11000 or thereabouts. ($9500 for transmission and then labor to remove old one and install new one).

OTOH, my info is that many of the seals and such from the 996 transmission fit and are interchangeable with those in the Turbo transmission. (Oh might add here I'm talking about the 6-speed manual.)

So I wouldn't be surprised that some shops that currently specialize in Porsche transmission rebuilds will at some point develop the expertise to rebuild the Turbo transmission.

Lastly, a Turbo is just a used car that is at risk from the many possible ills that befall any used make and model of a car. A/C systems, electrics, hydraulic systems, and so on.

However, the Turbo doesn't appear to be any more prone to these than other cars and in some cases, dare I say many cases, is less prone.

I believe with a budget of around $60K you should be able to find a nice make that a very nice car though if you seek out a car with the X50 option you might find yourself a bit underbudgeted cause owners of X50 cars seem to value the option dearly and price their car accordingly.

Based on my experience with my 03 I'd not own a low miles car without some warranty unless I had more money than God. But no warranty no matter how good will do anything for you if you let it expire on time. Now I'm not about to drive my 03 Turbo another 65K miles in a year just to make the warranty expire on miles driven vs. time, but I will probably add another 15K or more miles to the car. This will have car at 50K miles or thereabouts and I expect at 50K miles all the "new car" problems will have appeared and be fixed under warranty.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

So long as he isn't planning to mod it into the 700s and above in HP, I wouldn't worry about it... These motors are pretty robust as long as you don't abuse them or scrimp on maintenance. They are not the standard 996 powerplant.

Mike

Originally Posted by Last930
Mileage is a concern; you would not want to buy one with over 250,000 miles unless you can put some $ aways for an eventual rebuild. But seriously, they are pretty bullettproof and don't seem to have the issues that the M96 engines supposedly have. Get a good PPI.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:37 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

My 2005 Turbo S has been bullet proof, except for the clutch accumulator and slave cylinder. These were both replaced under CPO warranty at under 26,000 miles. The Dealership where I have the car serviced (not where I bought it) tells me the car is in sweet condition.

This is not a garage queen: despite having just turned 27,000 miles (It was at 13,300 when I bought it three years into service.), I track it on the longest road course in North America, hitting 150 mph on the 2/3 mile front straight. It's not coddled on the streets either, though it is not my daily driver, hence the low miles.

Quick Reply: Some Advice on 996TT