Sponsored by:

Stock Front Camber (max)???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Stock Front Camber (max)???

Have the X73 suspension installed and am curious what the max neg camber that can be achieved up front in stock form (i.e., no 2 piece control arms, no slotting, etc)

TIA!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Have the X73 suspension installed and am curious what the max neg camber that can be achieved up front in stock form (i.e., no 2 piece control arms, no slotting, etc)

TIA!
Might be the only way to know would be to take the car to an alignment shop and ask the tech to dial in as much neg. camber as possible and see what he can get from the car. The camber adjustment may move some other setting out of spec and the total amount of camber obtainable may be limited by how much compensating adjustment is required/available at some other setting adjustment point to keep the other settings correct.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Mac. It is actually at the dealer right now and the tech said he was able to get only just shy of 1 degree. I thought that was odd.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Thanks Mac. It is actually at the dealer right now and the tech said he was able to get only just shy of 1 degree. I thought that was odd.
May not be that odd. I don't have the Turbo alignment specs in front of me but IIRC the amount of negative camber allowable at the front wheels is not much. Maybe 0 and I don't recall what the allowable variation is. There is probably just enough adjustment to compensate for normal wear/tear/spring settle to bring the camber setting into what is specified.

If one requires more camber then some adjustable factory steering/suspension hardware or even aftermarket may be required.

Now I don't believe this is the case, but I mention it for completeness, the amount of camber may be restricted cause of some -- and I just mention it because it is a possibility a slim slim possibility -- that the car has been in an accident and the chassis/tub not properly brought back into proper alignment and the repair shop used the suspension alignment to correct for this.

Ask the tech if the amount of camber possible is within his experience and knowledge and is consistent with other Turbos and even other modern Porsches.

Ask if the camber adjustment is all one way or the other which if so suggests alignment used in place of proper repairs.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

The dealer tech was accurate. My x73 fitted car was just about, but not quite, 1 degree negative before installation of the two piece GT3 arms.

You'll also find that once fitted with GT3 arms, you'll need to do some slight modification (cutting away) to the inner fender liner to achieve more than about 2 degrees negative camber.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Great data point, thanks
Old 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Macster
Race Director

Great data point, thanks
Here's all I could find. Turbo front camber preferred setting and allowable deviation for both USA and ROW suspensions.

Camber
USA 0 degrees ± 15 min.

RoW − 30 min. ± 15 min.
(max. difference left to right: 20 min.)

As you can see there's not much tolerance: +/- 15 minutes; so being able to move the camber adjustment to obtain 1 degree negative is actually quite impressive.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Perfect, thanks Mac.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts

You should get between -1-1.2 camber in the fronts...

Dell, you know that there's a set of coil overs calling your name... Hahahahaha

Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Oh, and how about you guys quit guessing on this nonsense and download the factory service manual over on renntrack? Check the STICKIE in the 996TT section, Mkay????

Mike
The following users liked this post:
Rickylandaverry (01-11-2020)
Old 05-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
You should get between -1-1.2 camber in the fronts...

Dell, you know that there's a set of coil overs calling your name... Hahahahaha

Mike
This peeked my interest?, what set of coilovers will give more front camber ? Bilstein or are we talking hardcore like Motons ?
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You'll need camber plates or even better, 2 piece control arms to get any more than 1 degree.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Bullshyte... I was running -1.5 camber on the fronts without pillowballs or GT3 control arms... All I had was PSS9s, GT2 ride height and nothing else...

Also, JICs come with addittional camber plates that will give even more adjustability.

And my shock towers were slotted from the factory...No way some hack made those holes/slots so perfect...
Mike
Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Oh, and how about you guys quit guessing on this nonsense and download the factory service manual over on renntrack? Check the STICKIE in the 996TT section, Mkay????

Mike
The info I posted came from the Turbo manual. It doesn't say how much camber can be obtained only what the desired setting should be and the amount of variance allowed. 15 minutes is a quarter of a degree so to get -1 degree camber with the manual calling out a 0 deg. camber would require 4 times 15 minutes adjustment.

For all I know one might be able to crank the pupply over -3 degrees.

I note too the OP said the tech told him just shy of -1 degree was all that apparently was available.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Mac, I don't dispute what you posted, but I've been tracking these cars for over 3 years... I know what I know and nothing more... You have a cam adjuster in the lower control arm and the slotted upper shock mount. Both combined should allow for between -1.2 & -1.5 camber. Many techs won't pull the plastic and check to see if the uppers are slotted, because they don't know... It's as simple as them "not Knowing" and god forbid you tell them something they "don't know"...

Mike

Quick Reply: Stock Front Camber (max)???