Sponsored by:

MAF plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MAF plug

I want to change the air cleaner in my 996 T, but I am absolutely unable to remove the plug from the MAF. Is there a trick to it? The repair manual states "push the plug downwards and press the grooved surface at the sides. Pull the plug up and off at the same time." I am feeling a little incompetent right now...Thanks.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:40 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i actually had same problem. Very gently used a "tongue a groove" plier to press the groove surfaces. then pulled up. i think its also easier if you remove maf sensor 1st by unbolting torx bolt. just be real careful as this is very sensitive part, you dont wanna get it dirty or knock it when removing!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:21 AM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Default MAF plug

I was thinking of doing that. The Torks bolt heads have a small pin sticking up. Bosh's way of keeping us from unbolting the MAF. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:47 AM
brooklynkid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get that torx at any autozone that where i got mine
Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

T-20 tamper proof external torx socket.....readily available.
The tab that needs to be depressed is in the right-forward (flat) side....it is closest to you on the connector (i.e. not down closer to MAF).
Yep.....removing screws 1st & pulling MAF slightly out.....will enable you to see the tab.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:49 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Default Maf Plug

I take it a T-20 tamper proof external torx socket must have a small hole in the center to clear the pin in the bolt head. I'll take another shot at it this weekend. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pwarnery
I take it a T-20 tamper proof external torx socket must have a small hole in the center to clear the pin in the bolt head. I'll take another shot at it this weekend. Thanks.
Correct.
And BTW.....no need to feel incompetent....that darn little clip has frustrated many before you.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:45 PM
pwarnery
Intermediate

Default MAF plug

Success. Thanks for the excellent instructions. I was able to pull the MAF plug by using a needle nose pliers and pressing in the correct location as posted. After taking the air box out, the MAF was next, with the tamper proof T20 bit. I sprayed it with MAF cleaner. Installed new stock air filter and sure enough this solved the "fluffiness" I could feel with the engine when cold and at small throttle openings. Feeling pretty competent right now...

Quick Reply: MAF plug