Sponsored by:

Clutch engagement with LWFW

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM
godxilla
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch engagement with LWFW

I just purchased an 01 996TT. It has the UMW light weight flywheel, clutch and flashed setup. I live in the bay area, were as you probably know, is very hilly. I plan on using the car as a daily driver and sometimes drive on steep hills. How do others with this setup manage? How is the drive-ability?

Please let me know your thoughts...

thx
Old 02-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

It's going to take some practice, and you'll probably need to perfect your handbrake starts (and hope no one stops too close behind you on those typical SF hills).
Old 02-23-2010, 04:29 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I burnt the crap out of my truck clutch on the hills while I lived out there. I wouldn't take my turbo into that mess.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I burnt the crap out of my truck clutch on the hills while I lived out there. I wouldn't take my turbo into that mess.
I agree. I haven't driven in SF for years but I run into some hills where I do drive and the Turbo's not the best manual equipped car to get moving on an up grade.

In fact, I have a railroad underpass on one route from the freeway to my home and I try to avoid it cause it seems I always catch the red light and have to start the car from a stop on the upgrade coming from under the railroad overcrossing.

With a light weight flywheel... forget it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:51 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have pictures of the car?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by godxilla
I just purchased an 01 996TT. It has the UMW light weight flywheel, clutch and flashed setup. I live in the bay area, were as you probably know, is very hilly. I plan on using the car as a daily driver and sometimes drive on steep hills. How do others with this setup manage? How is the drive-ability?

Please let me know your thoughts...

thx
I have this setup on my 993TT and the clutch is very tricky. Because of the lighter weight and resulting lack of inertia, it's really easy to stall. I avoid parking on hills like the plague. Stopped at a light is tricky but you'll get used to it out of necessity. Have been to SF a bunch of times. This is not the setup I would want to deal with on a long term basis there.

Quick Reply: Clutch engagement with LWFW