Sponsored by:

Buying a 996 Turbo, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,468 Likes on 1,558 Posts
Default Buying a 996 Turbo, what to look for?

I have owned several Porsches in my lifetime and I am thinking of buying a 2001 or 2002 996 Turbo with Trip. Trans. (wife wants to drive it, occasionally)

I have talked to a few Porsche mechanics about the weaknesses of this model and just wanted to see if you all here had anything to add for a first look evaluation so I can decide whether to take the car for a PPI at my local Porsche shop.

I should also add that I do most of the maintenance on my current Porsches myself so I know my way around these cars relatively well so you can get detailed with your replies and I will understand.

Thanks,
-CC
Old 02-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Someone -- I'd name him but I can't remember the name -- put together a Turbo check list but I don't recall where it is located. I thought it sticky on the 996 Turbo forum but I don't see it.

Anyhow, search for that list -- its a good start.

Generally the Turbo's just a used car so you would check it out like you would any other used car. Look for the easy to spot reasons to reject the car.

What you want to do is look ever more deeply into the car always seeking a reason to reject it.

"look" means not only do you look the car over, inside and out, underneath, but you want to see signs the car's received love and care while in the possession of the current owner and as far back in owners as you can go.

You want to see regular servicing done, and not only oil/filter services, but brake fluid flushes/bleeds, and I'd like to see one coolant drain/flush and a Tip fluid/filter service too somewhere along the line.

To state the obvious, a PPI is the last thing you have done to the car, and you really only want to do one: on the car you end up buying.

Good grief! It was right in front of my face... Anyhow, Wachuko is the person's name and see "Pending projects and a few questions" thread at the top of this 996 Turbo forum for a check list for a 996 Turbo.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 02-16-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Added name of poster of Turbo checkist.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,468 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Found it, thanks,

-CC

Quick Reply: Buying a 996 Turbo, what to look for?