Getting slightly disillusioned with my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
Surely not. Why would a blown brake light bulb cause ABS and PSM to disable themselves? That would be very poor design.

Just to add to my list, it looks very much like the replacement radiator did not fix my coolant loss. I am going to order a new cap for the expansion tank today - although I don't have any evidence that it's the problem, it's a simple fix and is worth trying before the car goes back to the dealer again (which will have to be after Christmas now anyway).
Take off the cap and look if there is any white crusty stuff on the inside of it or around the neck of the tank. I had a leak and that (the cap) was the first thing I replaced and fixed the problem. I was losing about 1/2 inch a week.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have checked around the cap when I've had it off for refills before and not noticed anything. But I've actually ordered a replacement anyway (should arrive today I think) since it's a cheap thing to try and might avoid me having to take the car back to the dealer.

I also ordered a rear window demister relay at the same time - I was intending to see if it played up again, but the relay turned out to be just as cheap so I got one just in case.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 AM
DaveK
Race Car

OK - I have an update, hot off the press.....

Yesterday, I replaced the coolant tank cap - I carefully checked the old one, and around the rim of the tank and there was no sign at all it had been leaking - but it seemed a sensible thing to try anyway.

I also (probably) replaced the rear window demister relay. I say "probably" because I made a school boy error. I took care to keep the orientation of the old relay as I removed it (since it's not easy to see the socket) and then took care to confirm the part numbers were the same. And then realised I'd lost track of which one was the new one. Doh! I put back the one which seemed to look newest - if the demister fails again, I'll swap them over (and this time, keep track of which is which!).

But this morning, I now know where my coolant leak is. For some reason, last night I parked at the top of my driveway. This morning I decided to top up the windscreen wash - as I walked back to the car I could see a patch of damp under the car on the LHS. I checked where I normally park - and there is discolouration on the driveway that matched this patch of damp under the car.

So I took a look under the car - and there is a visible drip now. Just behind the drain screw on the LHS is a rubber seal where two pipes join. The coolant is dripping from just behind this seal (i.e. bumper side of the seal).

It doesn't actually look like it's the seal itself that's leaking - the pipe is damp quite far back and I wonder if it's dripping from somewhere higher up. But that's something the garage can figure out.

I have checked under the car before - and did see that pipe was damp once - but that was after the car had been driven through rain the day before and I thought it was probably that. There certainly weren't drips before so whatever it is has got worse.

I also suspect it's only leaking when the car is cold - I've been tracking the coolant loss and it did seem more time related than distance.

I'm extremely happy I've found the source - although a little surprised the mechanics didn't. But at least I must be close to a solution now - I'll call the dealer tomorrow. I'd like to try and get it down there this week (they did say they would collect if I asked them to) and resolved before Christmas.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:22 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Well changing the cap cant be a bad thing as they seem to leak after a while anyways. Mine is on the 3rd cap in 67K miles. Good to hear you are getting close. At least you have the 964 to play with during down time.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I used the 964 on Sunday, and it was a lot of fun. I'd forgotten how lovely it sounds!

But, I am beginning to lose patience with the turbo.

The dealer collected it on Monday - and when we looked under the car, it was absolutely bone dry. They've got the car up to temp (although it was stone cold when I saw it dripping) and cannot get it to leak at all. They say they have found some slight sign of leaking around the tank, so they've ordered some bits for that. But unless it was dripping down to the top of that pipe, I don't think that's the cause. But the stupid car now refuses to leak from where it was leaking on Sunday. Although it's pretty poor - I did take a picture, and you can see the drip!
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Aha - dealer just called again. They did a final check under the car before going home - and sure enough, the car is damp from that pipe and they've confirmed it's coolant.

Quick Reply: Getting slightly disillusioned with my car