Sponsored by:

Murpy and turbo dismantle.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Mr Swed
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Murpy and turbo dismantle.

Where do I buy studs/bolts for turbo to exhaust and the exhaust manifolds to the top? Not the stealer tried that, and I thought they quoted me half a engine. I,m doing a big overhaul this winter. So every thing is being dismantled checked and cleaned and as usual when Murphy is around two bolts snapped in the cylinder head. So I think I will change them.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Swed
Where do I buy studs/bolts for turbo to exhaust and the exhaust manifolds to the top? Not the stealer tried that, and I thought they quoted me half a engine. I,m doing a big overhaul this winter. So every thing is being dismantled checked and cleaned and as usual when Murphy is around two bolts snapped in the cylinder head. So I think I will change them.
What kind of price did dealer quote you? Given the fact these items are not regularly replaced, this purchase is a one time expense for you, you're looking to perhaps cut costs at the wrong place.

Trouble is finding suitable replacement hardware. I like factory for hardware, fasteners, frankly.

But, an online Porche parts reseller might offer same factory hardware at discount. There is Pelican, and Suncoast and may be more but I can't think of any off top of my head.

Oh, check out ads for Porsche parts in Excellence. Several dealers advertise and might be worth a phone call to see if you could buy factory hardware at discounted price.

There's Fastenal. Many large urban areas have one or more outlets. These carry quality fasteners but you have to know what grade of hardware you are buying. There can be an issue with volume too. Years ago I could buy one of these, two of that, but more recently was faced with having to order a minimum number -- roughly about 99 more than I needed, would ever used -- for the one fastener I needed.

Or if not Fastenal then check yellow pages under fasteners or hardware or ??? and locate a business that deals in quality fasteners in your area.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
mdd
Instructor

Try someone that rebuilds our turbos like Kevin at UMW. I'm sure he has a bin full of any turbo or exhaust related hardware you might need. He warned me not to lose the lock washers as they are very expensive to replace.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Having retired from the Big Yellow Tractor Co., I can attest to buying grade 8 hardware from my local CAT dealer. If you don't know the size you need, bring the bolt along to be measured. They have metric, stainless, torx, hex head, just about any fastener you can imagine and you don't have to buy a bag full like at Fastenall. I often felt guilty that the cost to procure and invoice my hardware was more than the amount of the sale. But, their business is a bit slow these days so I'm reasonably certain they can help you out. Do a Google search on: One Safe Source. It's their consumables catalog that lists the hardware and whole lot of other stuff.

Cheers,
Old 12-09-2009, 02:21 AM
Szpet
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hej,

Maila mig så ska du få tips.

wojtecki@gmail.com
Old 12-10-2009, 04:24 AM
Mr Swed
Rennlist Member