Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with the Cheapo EBAY 996 TT headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
qirex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lawls...

lay off the porsche-kool-aid joe!

While I DO agree wioth you, you have to also admit that porsche has exemplified greed and manufactures their MODERN cars based on margins and NOT simply "excellence!"
Old 12-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to 'jack the thread' but no, I don't see that, and it doesn't relate to the current topic,
but feel free to open a new thread about Porsche greed and how it hurts the 996tt and
I'll comment.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:25 PM
qirex
Racer

thanks Joe!
Old 12-24-2009, 03:48 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

wow those headers look rough!
Old 12-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know what stock 996tt headders look like on the inside but these are off my 993tt before and after some work with a dremel as well as a drill with a flexible shaft and multiple stone/wire brush bits. The 993tt headers have some 'lip' on the seams in the inside...?suspect 996tt ones do too.
Attached Images   
Old 12-24-2009, 01:27 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know about your headers, but mine did not look at all like that....here are some pics off a thread started by Kevin...in the first one is a before (right) and after(left...doh) porting & Polishing

Last edited by wross996tt; 02-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez I have a hard time believeing that those headers off that 993 looked like that....those couldn't be the stock headers....I dont' believe Porsche would produce something like that....but any assembly line can produce a bad product that gets by the inspector once in a while.

I bought a set of GT2 headers way back when I first got the car....had them ported and polished and installed when I put in the Europipe exhaust. I can truthfully say that I think I wasted my money. They have, over time, deepened the sound of the EP exhaust and it sounds great, but I think that I lost some lower end power. Mid to upper end is fine, but the butt dyno for the lower end seems a bit anemic.

I did keep my original headers and may have them ported and replace the GT2 headers since I'm runnning under 600 HP. This desire to chase a bit more horses has led to the unnecessary expenditure of a lot of money for many of us who buy products that have no verifiable scientific testing behind them.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:08 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry to inform you, Chuck, but the GT2 header (exhaust manifold as Porsche calls it) is identical to the Turbo...same exact PN (996 111 102 73). Sounds like Evoms sold you a bill of goods...LOL
Old 12-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill: I put them side by side, and they're not the same...the EVOM ones....or whoever made them are different than the OEM ones. Regardless of the same or different....had I to do it again, I would have stayed with the stock ones and just ported and polished them and probably would have better performance. Essentially, I have to admit that I probably spent unnecessary money.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Geez I have a hard time believeing that those headers off that 993 looked like that....those couldn't be the stock headers....I dont' believe Porsche would produce something like that....but any assembly line can produce a bad product that gets by the inspector once in a while.
I was a little surprised as well the first time I took a look at them. That's what the collector side on stock headders looks like and that's why there can be some improvements made in this area.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:50 PM
qirex
Racer

Thanks a lot for the pics and opinions guys.

After a brief discussion re: laminar flow with my mechanic (he's a viper guy, but really cool and really knowledgeable) - his feeling was that with FI, laminar flow (especially at the collector) is not worth chasing down as the turbos wind up causing a great deal of turbulent flow.

In an NA application, then yes, it makes a huge difference, but he basically laughed when I told him i was worried about putting these one.

Well - after having them on. Performance is DEFINITELY improved over my cracked (Schnell) header. However, the BIGGEST improvement is the SOUND - sounds awesome again! YAY.

Again, I'm not chasing down all the extra ponies - my car is ~620hp already, i dont need any more - I just wanted to replace a cracked part without wasting a ton of money.

In this case, yes - a cheap ebay part and a non-porsche dealer mechanic did the job GREAT - total cost $325.

If anybody needs exhaust work done in San Diego and you dont like/cant stand Dieters/Black Forerest - Give Randy@ mission Hills automotive a shout.

Great guy - Great work!

oh yes....I almost forgot..

Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a shot of my stock 997tt headers compared to my new MM/FVD headers and some old fabspeeds I took off. The MM's are very stock like in weight (good), and reinforced to avoid cracking.
Again, unless your car is really crankin' out the ponies, the gain is probably minimal on a tuned car and possibly negative with a stock tune.
Attached Images   
Old 12-30-2009, 02:31 PM
qirex
Racer

Well I just wanted to report my further experience.

1st of all - I'm amazed that I've been driving my car so long with it sounding so crappy! I had attributed the extra noise to the muffler bypass exhaust.

After not so close examination of the headers - they were BOTH cracked at the collector area welds. I love the sound of the 9ff exhaust again! I have to admit that I assumed all the noise was initially fro
a broken exhaust - but not so! That piece has been very durable.

Now the BEST part....the car has way more torque and build boost faster. This is prolly a no-brainer based on the improvement in the header leak. The car used to buck and grab in low speed, low rpm 2nd gear siuations. No more! I can actually start in 2nd gear and putt around in 4th!

I really wasn't expecting an upgrade, but I got one based on how poor the previous header's condition was. I hope that the present set last longer. I'll prolly get some stock ones p/p'd for the Next time.

I'll post pics of the old headers, but they had a skinny neck after the collector area vs the new ones that essentially bolt to the turbos at the base of the collector.

My knowledge of fluid dynamics suggests that the newer design may offer less resistance to the turbo? What is certain is no more lurching/lugging at stop signs in second and most importantly...my 620hp TT no longer "feels slow".

Thanks rennlist, eBay, and Randy!!
Old 12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

You don't happen to be the eBay seller?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM
qirex
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
You don't happen to be the eBay seller?
ummm...yes. that is me. you sir are the über-sleuth!

I also have a brand new engine for sale for guys in the 100,000mile club

these cheapo chinese headers will match perfectly with it.

sigh....never change rennlist, never change. J, you wear that tinfoil hat OH so Well!

Quick Reply: Any experience with the Cheapo EBAY 996 TT headers?