Sponsored by:

Porsche 996 - The Enthusiasts Companion

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche 996 - The Enthusiasts Companion

This was mentioned in the newby 996TT thread and the question was asked whether it covers the TT explicitly or only the bits that are common with the 996. I said I'd ordered it, and would report back once I'd got it.

Well, it turned up today - so rather than continue hijacking another thread I thought I'd start this one.

The answer is a definite yes. It covers all models of the 996 including GT2 / GT3 / TT. Differences are mentioned (e.g. in the section on checking the oil it's stated that the TT doesn't have a dipstick). And where necessary there are extra sections - e.g. there's a separate section on how to change the oil on the GT2 / GT3 / TT.

This book is HUGE - I'm sure it weighs almost as much as the car itself. So far I've literally flicked through it - and that alone took about 10 minutes - and am now having a quick skim through. There is so much information there, that it really does seem quite invaluable. I'll add another comment when I've spent a bit more time skimming through it but even now, I heartily recommend it.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
This was mentioned in the newby 996TT thread and the question was asked whether it covers the TT explicitly or only the bits that are common with the 996. I said I'd ordered it, and would report back once I'd got it.

Well, it turned up today - so rather than continue hijacking another thread I thought I'd start this one.

The answer is a definite yes. It covers all models of the 996 including GT2 / GT3 / TT. Differences are mentioned (e.g. in the section on checking the oil it's stated that the TT doesn't have a dipstick). And where necessary there are extra sections - e.g. there's a separate section on how to change the oil on the GT2 / GT3 / TT.

This book is HUGE - I'm sure it weighs almost as much as the car itself. So far I've literally flicked through it - and that alone took about 10 minutes - and am now having a quick skim through. There is so much information there, that it really does seem quite invaluable. I'll add another comment when I've spent a bit more time skimming through it but even now, I heartily recommend it.
You make it sound worthy of purchase. I'm tempted. One of the ways I like to judge a book (besides using its cover) is to try to look up details I already know or are curious about.

For instance, does book cover the "issue" about draining the turbo oil return line "tanks"?

What does it have to say about engine/turbo cool down?

Any details on the VarioCam system? Timing advance amounts? At what rpms? Air or coolant temperatures? What about the variable lift feature. When is this active?

I read that Porsche designed this to last based on the assumption of 25 activations per mile and for 100K miles, or 2.5million cycles. Since I have over 225K miles on my 02 Boxster and plan on putting this many miles (and more!) on my 03 Turbo, I'd like to know what if anything I can do regarding my driving style to reduce the number of VarioCam variable lift activation events and thus wear/tear on this hardware. (I have a VarioCam variable lift lifter at my desk. Very interesting hardware!)

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:57 PM
DaveK
Race Car

OK - I've had a look through it and it is a fascinating read - although I don't pretend to have read most of it. I did find out one thing very interesting though, and that's the difference in the operation of the CEL between USA and ROW. It seems in the US, just about everything will trigger CEL when it fails. For ROW, virtually nothing will! Which is good to know - because I now feel fully justified that I ordered Durametric this morning.

Originally Posted by Macster
You make it sound worthy of purchase. I'm tempted. One of the ways I like to judge a book (besides using its cover) is to try to look up details I already know or are curious about.

For instance, does book cover the "issue" about draining the turbo oil return line "tanks"?
I don't know what this issue is - it doesn't mention one where it describes the oil change process. It does include instructions to drain the turbo containers, and says to check that the same amount of oil comes from both.

What does it have to say about engine/turbo cool down?
I didn't notice any details on this - but I can't swear it's not mentioned somewhere.

Any details on the VarioCam system? Timing advance amounts? At what rpms? Air or coolant temperatures? What about the variable lift feature. When is this active?
Yes, there is a section on Variocam and Variocam plus. If I'm reading it correctly (which I might not be), Variocam is up to MY2002 (DME s/w 7.2) and Variocam plus is from MY2002 onwards (DME s/w 7.8).

Variocam appears to be purely dependent on engine speeds - it is active between 1300rpm and 5920rpm. Intake camshaft changes position by 12.5 degrees.

Variocam plus is more complicated though. It's controlled by the DME based on many inputs and is not engine speed dependent - and it says that variocam is only used if the DME thinks it's necessary. Inputs used are :

- Throttle position
- Mixture
- Ignition
- Engine oil temp
- Coolant temp
- Gear recognition

Camshaft adjustment is 0-30 degrees or 0-40 degrees depending on model (I'm sure I could clarify which but haven't read it in detail).

It gives a brief description of how it actually works - but also notes that it doesn't go into technical detail because it would send most people to sleep, and isn't a system home mechanics could really do anything with anyway.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:36 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I assume you meant "The Essential Companion" by Adrian Streather...

I have had this book since it was released about 2 years ago. There literally is not anything I could find that is not covered in the book. 2 side notes...Adrian is a member here in the forums and will forget more about these cars than most of us will ever know. Second is that most of the pics in the book are of members cars here from Rennlist.

Definitely worth every penny.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:48 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Oops - apparently, I didn't even read the title correctly.......

I agree though - it covers a lot. I already have the 964 one, so knew it would be worth getting the 996 one - even so, I'm still very pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:48 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Oops - apparently, I didn't even read the title correctly.......

I agree though - it covers a lot. I already have the 964 one, so knew it would be worth getting the 996 one - even so, I'm still very pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you buy it?
Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy it at AMAZON.

My $0.02, Adrian Streather is a genius IMHO when it comes to understanding these vehicles. I bought his first book 964 and he educated me on things I never knew. Any time I had issues, I looked it up and it was there. Even if he doesn't mention something about the vehicle, he will cover most of the details we never knew.

Carmelo
Old 10-15-2009, 12:27 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Larry, Got mine from Amazon too. Can't remember what I paid for it but I'm sure you can search it on their website. It is definitely "the bible" for these cars.

I had his book on my 993 also and passed it on to my brother (who purchased my 993 from me).
Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

I couldn't resist...Statman is rubbing off on me

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-996-Es...5620506&sr=8-1
Old 10-15-2009, 12:30 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

I couldn't resist...Statman is rubbing off on me

http://www.amazon.com/Porsche-996-Es...5620506&sr=8-1
Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Lysoleverywhere
Instructor

Ordered this book a few days ago. I lost the manual to my 03 Turbo and ordered this instead
Old 10-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
OK - I've had a look through it and it is a fascinating read - although I don't pretend to have read most of it. I did find out one thing very interesting though, and that's the difference in the operation of the CEL between USA and ROW. It seems in the US, just about everything will trigger CEL when it fails. For ROW, virtually nothing will! Which is good to know - because I now feel fully justified that I ordered Durametric this morning.

I don't know what this issue is - it doesn't mention one where it describes the oil change process. It does include instructions to drain the turbo containers, and says to check that the same amount of oil comes from both.

I didn't notice any details on this - but I can't swear it's not mentioned somewhere.

Yes, there is a section on Variocam and Variocam plus. If I'm reading it correctly (which I might not be), Variocam is up to MY2002 (DME s/w 7.2) and Variocam plus is from MY2002 onwards (DME s/w 7.8).

Variocam appears to be purely dependent on engine speeds - it is active between 1300rpm and 5920rpm. Intake camshaft changes position by 12.5 degrees.

Variocam plus is more complicated though. It's controlled by the DME based on many inputs and is not engine speed dependent - and it says that variocam is only used if the DME thinks it's necessary. Inputs used are :

- Throttle position
- Mixture
- Ignition
- Engine oil temp
- Coolant temp
- Gear recognition

Camshaft adjustment is 0-30 degrees or 0-40 degrees depending on model (I'm sure I could clarify which but haven't read it in detail).

It gives a brief description of how it actually works - but also notes that it doesn't go into technical detail because it would send most people to sleep, and isn't a system home mechanics could really do anything with anyway.
Thanks for the review. I'm going to order the book.

I find the info about noting the amount of oil draining from the turbo oil return line drains being the same is very interesting. Not enough oil to make it worth the effort in time or parts to drain the oil but noting the amount of oil drained per side does suggest this could be an early warning system for Turbo troubles.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ordered the book. Thanks for the tip off.

Quick Reply: Porsche 996 - The Enthusiasts Companion