Sponsored by:

Making a stock 996tt look "bad"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Making a stock 996tt look "bad"

I have just put an offer in for a 2003 tt x50 pkg--I'm quite excited, of course!
Assuming the independant mechanical inspection goes through ok--I will own this car soon. My only holdback on buying this car from the beginning was the more conservative looks, as compared to a 993 or the newer 997. I like a wider look--and I like an aggressive (but not over the top) rear spoiler.
Assuming I get the car (likely)--I am considering lowering it, putting spacers on it, and buying a more zooty airfoil that would still fit on the existing mechanical tail.
Does anyone have an opinion on the lowering/spacers modifications (i.e. "bad idea, dude")?
Can anybody suggest a good after-market aggressive looking tail at a decent price?
Much appreciated.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:49 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastboy
Does anyone have an opinion on the lowering/spacers modifications (i.e. "bad idea, dude")?
Get coil overs (PSS9/10, JICs, et.al.)...then fill the wheel well with 235 & 315s

Can anybody suggest a good after-market aggressive looking tail at a decent price?
You want fixed or moving? Strosek, TechArt for moving, GT2 for fixed.
GL
Old 10-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had H&R spacers on (18mm rear & 7mm front with longer bolts) but had them removed as they caused vibrations coming through the chassi (casuing the car to bounce up and down at high speed 180 km/h). Removed the spacers and all was fine again.

As for a rear foil, I'm also rather keen on a mechanical OEM or GT2 shaped carbon piece.

Ciao, JE
Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny you mention that. I put 15mm rear and 7mm front spacers on the other day and noticed a strange rear end kind of hopping at freeway speed when changing lanes. Is this part of what you are talking about. Maybe driving these on track is not such a good idea. Anyone else with spacer experience?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:21 AM
twinsnail
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Funny you mention that. I put 15mm rear and 7mm front spacers on the other day and noticed a strange rear end kind of hopping at freeway speed when changing lanes. Is this part of what you are talking about. Maybe driving these on track is not such a good idea. Anyone else with spacer experience?
just ordered some 15mm rear spacers today; do you guys know how much camber you are running? thx for the heads-up
Old 10-09-2009, 05:03 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Larry, my car was "hopping" more in the front

Twinsnail, stock alignment settings on my car whatever that is...........
Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Spacers should not be a problem as long as proper length studs (or bolts) are used to properly fasten the wheel to the hub.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
Spacers should not be a problem as long as proper length studs (or bolts) are used to properly fasten the wheel to the hub.
It is still however a common problem.

Last edited by Mr. C4; 10-09-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Quinlan
Racer

7mm spacers are a problem because that is about the amount that the hub projects so that the wheel "seats" on the hub. The spacer makes the surface flush, so the only thing centering the wheel is the wheel bolts. I have tried several times to get my wheels to run smooth with 7mm spacers, with no luck. On the other hand, wider spacers can be hub-centric, so that they provide a hub to project out to center the wheel. These work fine.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Originally Posted by roy from strathroy
7mm spacers are a problem because that is about the amount that the hub projects so that the wheel "seats" on the hub. The spacer makes the surface flush, so the only thing centering the wheel is the wheel bolts. I have tried several times to get my wheels to run smooth with 7mm spacers, with no luck. On the other hand, wider spacers can be hub-centric, so that they provide a hub to project out to center the wheel. These work fine.
Not my 7mm's as they have centering extensions and they still cause the "hopping".
Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

I have just put an offer in for a 2003 tt x50 pkg--I'm quite excited, of course!
Assuming the independant mechanical inspection goes through ok--I will own this car soon. My only holdback on buying this car from the beginning was the more conservative looks, as compared to a 993 or the newer 997. I like a wider look--and I like an aggressive (but not over the top) rear spoiler.
Assuming I get the car (likely)--I am considering lowering it, putting spacers on it, and buying a more zooty airfoil that would still fit on the existing mechanical tail.
Much appreciated.
I've got an 03 sans X50 package and I can tell you the car's already low. I have to be very aware of this when entering/exiting driveways or I scrape the heck out of the air dam at the nose of the car. A few places I used to get in and out of with no problems in my 02 Boxster I now avoid when driving my Turbo.

Frankly, I think the car looks super just the way it is.

Be sure the alignment spot on so you get max. tire life from those expensive tires.

Had the alignment checked when I got my 03 (CPO car too) with just 9500 miles and the alignment was way off. However, tech told me that the car aligned real nice and was one of the straightest cars he's seen. Said caster was equal side to side (can't be adjusted easily). Unequal caster can result in a car that pulls to one side or the other.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I have the longer bolts both front and back. Perhaps it was the road but the other post caught my eye. Anyone track their 996TT with spacers on?

Sorry to the OP, I didn't start the highjack but am continuing it because the other posters are in this thread.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

I tracked my car with 7mm spacers without issue... Larry, You've ridden in my car with 7MM spacers on it, without "hop" issues...

Mike
Old 10-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

To the original poster, you shooting for something like this?

Mike
Old 10-10-2009, 09:29 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Nice Mike!

Quick Reply: Making a stock 996tt look "bad"