Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is 996TT subject to water cooled issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is 996TT subject to water cooled issues?

I'm thinking of upgrading from my 02 C4S to a 996TT as a DD. I seem to recall reading that the 996TT engine is derived frokm the GT1 racing engine and is not vulnerable to the RMS and IMS issues. Is this correct?

Anyone driving one in snowy winters? My C4S is amazing as long as the snow is not too deep. Any issues with the higher power? I would think that an extra measure of care when driving should suffice but would be interested in any comments.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:20 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the TT engine is based on the GT1 engine and does not suffer RMS / IMS issues (at least, not in the same way 996s do and not more than any other car might).

I've not driven mine in the snow (and wouldn't). But they do have a lot of torque, so it's quite surprising how quickly they accelerate even when you're driving "normally" - I'm certainly glad it's 4wd in the rain. I'm not sure I'd want to try it in the snow here - I have used my 964 (C4) a few times - I think that has quite enough power for the snow - I don't need almost 200bhp more!
Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Receiver
I'm thinking of upgrading from my 02 C4S to a 996TT as a DD. I seem to recall reading that the 996TT engine is derived frokm the GT1 racing engine and is not vulnerable to the RMS and IMS issues. Is this correct?

Anyone driving one in snowy winters? My C4S is amazing as long as the snow is not too deep. Any issues with the higher power? I would think that an extra measure of care when driving should suffice but would be interested in any comments.
What DaveK said.

Turbo engine (and GT2 and GT3) based on engine developed for GT1 race series, back in '99 IIRC. This engine traces its ancestry back quite a ways to the earliest air-cooled Turbo engine.

A senior service tech at a Porsche dealer service department says the Turbo/GT2/GT3 engines the best Porsche engines of the modern era, although not unexpectedly he does like the new DFI engine.

He holds nothing but barely concealed contempt for the Boxster/Cayman/911 M96 water cooled engines.

(Side note: the M96 water cooled engine in my 02 Boxster has been a damn fine engine, still running strong after 225K miles, so I tend to disagree with the tech's opinion of the M96 water cooled engine a tad.)

As with any Porsche engine, my advice is to run a quality synthetic oil approved by Porsche and change it often. I follow a 5K mile oil/filter change interval schedule for both my Boxster and my 03 Turbo and I intend to get 225K miles and more out of the Turbo with no engine internal problems.

For winter driving the car should be ok if fitted with quality snow tires. AWD helps I'm sure but often it is not the going that is a problem in marginal traction conditions, but the turning and stopping. In these actions all vehicles are created the same. When I've lived/driven in snowy areas I see as more 4-wheel drive vehicles off the road as I do 2 wheel drive, front or rear. Many 4-wheel vehicle owners think 4wd makes their vehicle invincible in the snow. It takes an off the road excursion to make then see the error of their thinking.

Of course clearance will be an issue at some point that in really deep snow I believe the front end will act as a plow or perhaps the nose will start to ride up on top of the snow and thus the front wheels will lose some traction. There goes braking and steering...

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Member 'T2' has well over 220K miles on his 03 X50 New England daily driver...still on the original clutch.
Do a search or send him a PM for additional observations.

The M64 engine can be traced back well before LeMans back to production vehicles like the 993 and 964. Fantastic engine.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to do some research on the M64 engine but it appears to be pretty bullitt proof versus the M96 in my C4S. Not that I've had any problems, but it comes off warranty next summer. Also, my 993TT is addictive and I would like to have that thrill all year around but am not interested in driving the 993TT in the snow for a bunch of reasons.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Receiver
Thanks guys. I'm going to do some research on the M64 engine but it appears to be pretty bullitt proof versus the M96 in my C4S.
That is an understatement. The M64 lump is perhaps the finest production Porsche engine ever... can't think of another one that even comes close.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
That is an understatement. The M64 lump is perhaps the finest production Porsche engine ever... can't think of another one that even comes close.
Started to do the research and the first thing I found out is that the 996TT has the M96-70 engine in it rather than the M64 series. However, it appears that the M96-70 has a lot more in common with the M64 series than it does with the M96 series. In particular, it is based upon the M64 series crankcase and has a real dry sump lubrication system rather than the thing that is called "dry sump" in the M96.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The 3.2 air-cooled piece from the 84-89 cars isn't too shabby either. Of course it comes up a little shy in the power department

Quick Reply: Is 996TT subject to water cooled issues?