Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to check whether a car has Revo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:28 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to check whether a car has Revo?

I've purchased a 2002 996TT which I collect on Tuesday. Although I viewed a couple of cars, the only 996TT I've driven is the one I bought.

I remember being astounded at the acceleration. However - I've seen Revo mentioned on this forum so I thought I'd google for 996TT and Revo.

By a strange coincidence, I came across a two week old thread on another forum about my new car! Somebody had been considering buying it, but decided against it based on colour (Orient Red Metallic, which I fell in love with when I saw it). However - in his post, he stated that the car had only just appeared at the dealer I bought it from, but had previously been for sale at another dealer who had advertised it as having 495bhp Revo.

This wasn't mentioned by the dealer I've bought the car from. I will ask them about it the next time I talk to them. But I'm curious - how do I find out whether it has Revo or not?
Old 09-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't tell you whether it's Revo, but it's easy to tell if car has a non-stock
program that makes more power. They all raise the boost limit to at least
1.0. Just get it into 4rh gear at low RPM (2000 or so) then floor it, and have
your dash displaying boost level. If it goes higher than .8, it's not stock.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:53 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Joe Weinstein
I can't tell you whether it's Revo, but it's easy to tell if car has a non-stock
program that makes more power. They all raise the boost limit to at least
1.0. Just get it into 4rh gear at low RPM (2000 or so) then floor it, and have
your dash displaying boost level. If it goes higher than .8, it's not stock.
Excellent - thank you.

I will call the dealer tomorrow - if they can't confirm it, I'll see if I can take the car out for a drive again tomorrow to test this out (although it might be in the workshop being prep'd).

I assume it's easy to go back to stock? I'm not sure I really want the insurance hassle.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Joe Weinstein
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

No, it's not easy, without knowing who changed it and how. Without that info
you'd have to get the dealer replace the ECU, and once it is acknowledged to
have had a non-stock flash, it may lose any warranty coverage....
Old 09-04-2009, 05:11 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Oh great. Thanks. Somehow, I can't see the dealer replacing the ECU for me. Tomorrow might be an interesting conversation.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have the car inspected by an independent mechanic?

Not sure how it works in the UK, but here in the states it isn't 'bought' until you drive it off the lot. So if you haven't yet 'collected' it, at least in the US, it isn't yours yet.

meaning they might still be expected to correct any issues.

Everyone always recommends an inspection by someone other than the selling dealer. For good reason.

GL

A
Old 09-05-2009, 07:03 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Well, in the UK I think technically I'd own the car at the point I'd paid for it. But I haven't yet (other than a deposit).

Anyway - it is all sorted now. I went down to the dealer today. They said they were pretty sure it was stock but we took it out for a run anyway. Max boost was 0.7, so looks like it is bone stock.

The dealer does actually get an indepenent inspection done on the car as part of the deal (and the car was being serviced). It's shown up a weeping intercooler pipe - the replacement should turn up on Tuesday so I can't pick the car up until the end of the day. Makes me happy though - proves it has been checked over properly.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Bos
Pro

Is the intercooler pipe "weeping" or not sealing / cracked? For me, weeping means something is leaking a fluid. It may just be a this side of the pond definition issue. However, there are no fluids in the intercooler pipe, unless the turbos are going, and then oil blowby causes oil to end up in the intercooler pipes. Hopefully this is not the case.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:38 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I thought the dealer said it was weeping fluid, but maybe I misheard. I'd be surprised if the turbos are going - car has only done 20k miles.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Bos
Pro

Turbos treated roughly (driven hard with no cool down, etc.) can experience oil blowby in much less mileage than 20K. I would make sure the dealer clarifies "exactly" what's happening and what "weeping" means. It's not uncommon to have some slight oil dampness in the intercooler pipes, anything more then that should be a cause for taking a closer look. Do a search in all forums here for "turbo blowby" & "oil intercooler". Hope it all works out.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:49 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Orient Red is a very cool color on a TT - post pics if you get it!

Quick Reply: How to check whether a car has Revo?