Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Recent Softronic Flash Experience (2005 Turbo "S")

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 12:41 PM
ShokWaveRider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Recent Softronic Flash Experience (2005 Turbo "S")

I reviewed over 5 Flash Vendors or their Re-Sellers. I must just say that I spoke to Softronic directly first before I spoke to one of their re-sellers. I have no complaints with the re-seller at all, they were also very helpful, but I decided to go directly to Softronic as I actually contacted them first directly months earlier, and it seemed the best solution for me. There was no price difference. The re-seller was in no way influential on my decision to go with Softronic, April at Softronic deserves that credit, her help is what sold me and put them high on my list.

I started by asking them a lot of questions, some hard, sometimes trying to push the envelope a little to see how they responded, and getting them to detail as many aspects of their tuning as I could get them to divulge. They were quick to show me the error of some of my ways and accommodate others. One of the things I really liked was that they only needed to provide me with the Flash itself based on my installed options, which I had to disclose and detail completely.

Softronic designed their flash for my car's options, that I had installed and tested. Exhaust, WasteGate Actuators, Ported Headers etc. I really liked that. Plus, if I added more they would accommodate me if necessary at no extra charge. I did share with them what my plans were for the future in order to have full disclosure. Water/Alcohol injection, Etc.

I have to say my experience was excellent, their knowledge and professionalism was certainly up to my "Engineer" standards. I worked with a very charming young lady by the name of April, she answered all my questions promptly most of the time, only when I had a question that was a little beyond her personal experience level, (which was very good) did I have to wait, and then it was not long at all, usually less than 1 day. What I really like is that she worked directly with the Programmers and not through a middle man.

There was never any issue with them working with me, they were always very accommodating and friendly, even when I tried to push them a little, they simply pushed back respectfully.

After the purchase they sent me my own cable as part of the original price, not at extra cost, and I could keep it, a VERY big deal for me. Here is what I had to do once I received their OBDII Interface cable, all instructions were clearly provided:

1) Load Their Software (About 1 minute)
2) Make sure my car battery was fully charged. (It was)
3) Connect their OBDII Cable to my car and turn on the ignition
4) Download my OEM DME file and copy it to their server, all done by software.

That was it, literally 5 minutes after I connected my laptop to the car and I was done. I did this all by 4pm and had my new tuned file along with my original back by 9am the next day. How is that for service? So now I can flip between stock and tune at my leisure.

Here is the load procedure, this is the good bit, a little heart throbbing did take place on my part:

1) Make sure my car battery was fully charged. (It was)
2) Connect their OBDII Cable to my car and turn on the ignition
3) Double click on the new tuned file they sent me, and hit start
4) Wait about 5 minutes
5) DONE!

It is all working perfectly, I have to do some tests to see how the performance works out and to see if I need any minor changes, but honestly I will be very surprised if I do as they made sure they had all my info before I started.

I will use my Durametric Logger to monitor the engine and report back to Softronic as I need to.

I do want to say that in no way am I running down or promoting this flash over another vendor. It simply worked for me. I would be more than happy to answer any questions privately as required.

SWR
Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

so, how did the car feel after the flash??
Old 08-22-2009, 08:40 AM
ShokWaveRider
Advanced

Well I got the opportunity to take a run in the car Friday. The first thing I noticed that she was far more responsive to the throttle. The Turbo “S” always pinned me in my seat when I wanted it to but I think I have Porsche emblems imprinted in the back of my head now.

I REALLY like the 6750-7200 rpm limit change. This makes the world of difference when accelerating from a standing start, at Least to me. Remembering my goal is not to be the fastest person on a track, I want 0 – 60, to me this is ALL that counts!
I also think she runs far better at cruising speeds both low and high. In addition the low speed in traffic and town in relatively high gear is smoother.

I cannot seem to get the car over 1.1 Bar yet, I am determined to get 1.3 Bar out of it, but I am working with Softronic on that. It could be time for DVs or another Wastegate Actuator adjustment. I need to check the pressure lines to make sure I have no leaks etc. I did not go over 80mph either, so that could also be an issue, this reading was taken at WOT in 2nd Gear. The fact that yesterday was 94* here in Florida probably did not help either.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Will Raising rpm limit still register over revs in ecu with softtron?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 AM
ShokWaveRider
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oak
Will Raising rpm limit still register over revs in ecu with softtron?
They said no.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:19 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
They said no.
I would get the current over revs (durametric, PIWIS or PST2) and monitor this.

Quick Reply: My Recent Softronic Flash Experience (2005 Turbo "S")