Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if a car has been tracked by previous owner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

See if there are marks where a fire extinguisher may have been mounted.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohead
One more thing you might see calipers have discolored slightly
+1.

Mine are very discolored. In fact, one of the guys at my local indy shop joked one morning... "Hey, nice big maroon brake upgrade!"
Old 12-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
And ask owner. Lead him to believe you like the idea of tracking and are considering using the car for this purpose and wonder how it would be? Do not be negative or react in any way but a favorable way as he talks about the car's performance. Gently let the conversation go where it will but when there is silence avoid trying to fill it. Get the owner talking about the car and keep him talking.
That's what I did. When I tracked down the previous owner of mine, I told him that I was going to eventually track it (not a lie!) and I was curious how it performed at the track. He said he never took it to the track, but did a couple of highway runs. I asked him how fast he got it up to as well.

Of course, these questions occurred after I bought mine so he had no reason to lie to me.

///Michael
Old 12-07-2009, 07:56 AM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raineycd
One of the best ways to tell if the previous owner tracked the car is the huge smile on his face... :-)
And THAT'S the truth!

The cars were made for it. Owners who take to the track are, generally, better owners; and I'd expect to tell someone buying my car how well it does on the track -- in fact, I did just that and got an excellent price on my 1996 993 coupe just a year and a half ago. Of course, the car has to LOOK good too, not just track well.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DesignerGenes
And THAT'S the truth!

The cars were made for it. Owners who take to the track are, generally, better owners; and I'd expect to tell someone buying my car how well it does on the track -- in fact, I did just that and got an excellent price on my 1996 993 coupe just a year and a half ago. Of course, the car has to LOOK good too, not just track well.
I searched "buying tracked" and this thread was the closest on topic...

First, I have no issues buying a tracked car because I have tracked all my cars and as DesignerGenes quoted, tracked owners tend to be more meticulous of maintenance because no one wants a breakdown at the track

But unfortunately, potential buyers who haven't tracked misunderstand tracked as equating raced, so they put the requsite out "never tracked" for their new purchase, however, I've seen more poorly maintained Porsches which have never "set foot" on the track....go figure
Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSMC
I searched "buying tracked" and this thread was the closest on topic...

First, I have no issues buying a tracked car because I have tracked all my cars and as DesignerGenes quoted, tracked owners tend to be more meticulous of maintenance because no one wants a breakdown at the track

But unfortunately, potential buyers who haven't tracked misunderstand tracked as equating raced, so they put the requsite out "never tracked" for their new purchase, however, I've seen more poorly maintained Porsches which have never "set foot" on the track....go figure
Some owners who track their cars are more meticulous about the car's maintenance, but not all. There have been posts even here clearly indicating the owner was not giving the car the type of servicing it should be getting with its track time, even putting off addressing possible cooling or braking issues that should be promptly addressed for even a street car, let alone a car about to be tracked.

And no driver, no matter how good he is with servicing/maintenance, can't undo the extra wear and tear and stress the car receives while on the track.

It is always up to the individual. If he doesn't mind a tracked car, even a mod'd car, then fine. But if an individual in looking for his first or last Porsche doesn't want a tracked (or mod'd) car, that's fine too.

As for being made for tracking... check in with the GT3 owners who have had cooling pipe fittings fail on the track...

These cars are good cars and have quite a bit of margin, design/operating margins, to tolerate rather well being subjected to the track. But they are not race cars with A/C and air bags and cup holders.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:58 PM
mmm951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by puma
i wouldn't worry about a car that was tracked, they were made for this. Usually people who track their car take better care of their car than what other might do. More regular oil change, coolant, brake fluid, closer inspection to the car before going to the track, replacing any bushing or bearing that might show some sign of wear, etc.

obviously it always depend on the owner.
Bingo.

My car has about 70K, with about 16K track miles on it and still runs like a Swiss watch. Trust me, one would never know it has been beaten on the track.

All of the signs mentioned in this thread can easily be taken care of, most easily the brakes. My car does not rattle, squeak, or shake and still drives like the day it came off the showroom floor. Actually, a good bit faster. It has been properly maintained and that is the most important thing to look for.

The motor has a racing block and can easily take any abuse street or track days can dish out, so that is not a big concern. Most 996's at this age need a suspension replacement, so if this is done then there is really not much more to worry about. Again, proper maintenance is the key.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:32 AM
deckman
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure if this would work but you could look at the average miles per hour driven. If it seems high it could be a tracked car.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:23 PM
fdorn
Advanced

Location: Chicago - UMW Flash, UMW Performance Clutch (dual-mass), RUF exhaust, Evoms Bilit DV's,PSS10's, Pioneer Nav

White Porsche lettering on the calipers will yellow with a lot of heat.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:01 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Large number decals on the hood and door panels might be a clue as well.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:12 PM
dacbap
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSST
Large number decals on the hood and door panels might be a clue as well.
and maybe the helmet and driving shoes in the trunk
Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

telltale sings of my car having been tracked were

(1) discolored caliper paint
(2) scrubbed outside edges of front tires
(3) custom frt brake ducting
(4) roll cage previously installed, and install points under carpet rear and upper rear shelf
(5) bought from known racers that live for willow springs
Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Stalk the dude you want to buy from for a couple of weekends! If he is a track junky he will go racing on one of them!

Ps. Raise the car. Look for bits of tyre debris stuck in/on various places (stuck-on rubber bits on inner wheel plastics, rubber bits stuck on shocks, stuck in-between springs, and on stabilisers). You would be surprised how much rubber bits get stuck everywhere as tyres shred the thread.

Quick Reply: How to tell if a car has been tracked by previous owner?