Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if a car has been tracked by previous owner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
check rotor/pad condtion in relation mileage. wear can't lie in relation to mileage.
Rotor pad condition unless car tracked a lot and pads/rotors not changed can lie, or maybe just mislead, or even be inconclusive.

There are varying amounts of track time. Sometime who visits a track couple of times a year and is a pretty smooth driver might be pretty easy on the brakes and brakes may not have enough wear to be outside of the general window of pad/rotor wear vs. mileage.

Someone who spends every waking moment on the track could replace pads/rotors every month.

One should look at the pads/rotors and see what if anything they have to say but rotor/pad condition is not 100% reliable indicator of a car's possible track use.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

if someone has a new set of rotors in 5k miles that should be a red flag. a simple mic can tell tremendous info atleast to me.

if the car was being babied and or are tracking and clucking around the track twice a year doing de that's nothing to be worried about imo. infact it should be a plus.

of course brakes are just a small part of the entire picture, if you know what you are looking at it's pretty easy to spot how the car was driven.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

you mean you are supposed to drive these cars....LOL
Old 08-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for excessive paint wear (from stone spray) behind the wheel aches on the rear bumper (below IC outlets) and the front section of the side skirts where it meets the front fenders, as R compound tires (commonly used for tracking) kick up much more stones.

Ciao,

J.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Look for excessive paint wear (from stone spray) behind the wheel aches on the rear bumper (below IC outlets) and the front section of the side skirts where it meets the front fenders, as R compound tires (commonly used for tracking) kick up much more stones.

Ciao,

J.
or the car 'lived' in an area that has chipseal on virtually all the secondardy roads in the county...
Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Crackes in rotors would mean very hard brake use. If rotors were not replaced.
One more thing you might see calipers have discolored slightly ....a sure sign that that they got hot from track work.
That said ; So What !!!
Elliot
Old 08-29-2009, 12:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

dont look at rotors. that's just dumb. i repace rotors every 4 track days. so basically i always got new rotors on it.

over rev is no use. i dont think i have yet missed a downshift. so you can't tell.

here is an easy one, look at the "PORSCHE" text on the caliber. if it's white, then not tracked. if it's yellowish, it's tracked. if PO tracked and text is still white. he's not very fast and no need to worry about the car. if he changed the caliper then he is trying hard to fool you. if he's that good, he can cover up a lot of stuff and you will not easily know if it's tracked or not.

i can make my 10k mile track car look like a garage queen in less than one day.... but i am proud to let ppl know that my cars have been tracked hard and way over maintained.

so basically the best way is look at the owner, can you trust him? if not, dont buy from him. if you can trust him, just ask him if it's tracked.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:04 AM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's one, just ask the owner's wife.....
Old 08-29-2009, 09:38 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by puma
i wouldn't worry about a car that was tracked, they were made for this. Usually people who track their car take better care of their car than what other might do. More regular oil change, coolant, brake fluid, closer inspection to the car before going to the track, replacing any bushing or bearing that might show some sign of wear, etc.

obviously it always depend on the owner.
+1 on this

more oil

tranny and diff attention

brakes get more safety checks

things get noticed....

Jeff
Old 09-02-2009, 03:29 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my car has not been tracked but I do drive it "quickly". I have paint wearing through behind the tires, my tires are worn at the outside edge for plowing through corners and I have some pitting on the window / stone chips on the hood. (I have a clearbra to keep most chips at bay. )

the car had 2 stone chips in it when I bought it. the PO only used it on nice days, he looked sad when I told him I was going to drive it as much as possible ! I hope to get into DE events soon and I anticapate replacing even more parts "just in case"
Old 12-01-2009, 11:05 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
IMHO Not so true. I tend to have a lead foot in the low gears and run into the rev limiter, (by mistake and not intentionally) but only in the low gears, especially first.

0-60 is all I care about these days. I do not abuse my car at all, in fact quite the opposite. But I do hit that rev limiter. I do not consider the rev recorder to be a true and accurate measurement of abuse. At least not in my case. I have never been over 90mph in the car and probably will not for a while and I certainly will not track it at all.

I am sure some guru will dissagree with me but I do not consider the 1 & 2 over revs a big deal. I could be wrong. I have about 1400 or so of the level 1s and 2 or so level 2s at the moment.

Here is my durametric Log:

Number of ignitions range 1 1467 / 267h
Number of ignitions range 2 2 / 264h
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i just got the durametric and have a question about this. Does the above durametric log mean the car has hit the rev limiter 1,467 times in 267 hours of operation?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
I do not consider the rev recorder to be a true and accurate measurement of abuse.
I am fairly certain that PCNA would beg to differ.

As for Type 2's (aka Money Shift, Mechanical OverRevs, etc)...it's never a good idea.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 AM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

As for Type 2's (aka Money Shift, Mechanical OverRevs, etc)...it's never a good idea.
I'm surprised they survive the money shift.

Still need an answer to my question above if anyone knows...thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 11:35 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Defector
I'm surprised they survive the money shift.

Still need an answer to my question above if anyone knows...thanks...Does the above durametric log mean the car has hit the rev limiter 1,467 times in 267 hours of operation?
at 7000rpm there are 350 ignitions/second (7000 rev/min X 3 ignition/rev X 1 min/60 sec)... The 1467 is ignitions, so the car was in over rev for < 4.2 seconds in 267 hours of operation.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:06 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wross996tt
at 7000rpm there are 350 ignitions/second (7000 rev/min X 3 ignition/rev X 1 min/60 sec)... The 1467 is ignitions, so the car was in over rev for < 4.2 seconds in 267 hours of operation.
Thank you!!

Quick Reply: How to tell if a car has been tracked by previous owner?