Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on mule deer hit with 03 Turbo....Car is...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Update on mule deer hit with 03 Turbo....Car is...

home in Livermore. Insurance company balked at towing car anywhere so I arranged tow (flat bed) from Ely NV to Livermore CA. $1550 tow bill.

Wanted me to have car patched together at shop where car towed to in Ely then drive car back home for further repairs.

Ely shop said it didn't want to touch car and I didn't want it to touch it either.

Then ins. co. wanted to tow car to Las Vegas but not to shop that repairs high end cars (including Porsches) but instead to one of 5 shops that is on its preferred list. Called Exotics Cars in LV and spoke with manager. Said his shop fixes Porsches and other high end cars all the time and some for my insurance company. Said it can't affect partial repairs. Car not considered road worthy and safe until 100% repaired to Porsche standards.

Ins. company balked again. Every time I called I'd get another person and was like starting all over from scratch again. Ins. claims system designed to frustrate, stall, and just make you want to go away. Fixing car right last thing on list.

Called Porsche dealer in Reno that has quality body shop under its name and then called insurance company back. Again it balked on tow to Reno. Said it was not required to tow vehicle beyond one of its preferred shops and a preferred shop there in town. Shop where car towed in after accident and at shop that said it didn't want to touch car.

Anyhow, car home safe and sound at local shop that handles Porsches, Jags, BMW, Lexus, etc.

No est. of damage yet. Ins. co. has not authorized tear down (bumper/fender removal) yet.

Already building up case file to submit to CA Depart. of Insurance complaints department.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:30 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the shops' statements (refusal to accept, refusal to do partial repairs) in writing.

Breach of contract claim might get their attention... if not going all the way with a legal claim, making a solid case may influence their decisions.

I've been underwhelmed with the Dept of Insurance, but worth the effort I suppose

What a hassle...

GL

A
Old 07-10-2009, 10:40 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Very sorry to read your other thread discussing the damage - I hope you get it repaired correctly.

Just a question - why the cryptic/truncated writing style?

Andreas
Old 07-10-2009, 11:32 PM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How's the deer doing?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Not sure what style you are referring to? Well check that: I might have fallen ....

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Very sorry to read your other thread discussing the damage - I hope you get it repaired correctly.

Just a question - why the cryptic/truncated writing style?

Andreas
back to an abbreviated style. I try to write in a conversational tone but this tends to be wordy and the resulting posts tend to be long. Some have brought this to my attention.

Also, sometimes I post in a hurry and while I always try to be accurate and give the subject the attention it deserves I on occasion to save time resort to using abbreviations like ins. co. for insurance company (whew!) and such.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Next day went back to scene and no carcass. Spotted deer tracks...

Originally Posted by DRG13
How's the deer doing?
up slope to roadway, tracks at side of road where deer standing as it tried to cross road and when it got hit then after hit followed deer tracks down slope.

Obvious deer hurt. 4 hoof prints up slope, 3 down slope and 1 obviously carrying more weight.

No blood.

Followed tracks down slope to shallow wash where rocks made tracking more difficult. Since day warming up did not want to venture into snake country any further than necessary.

Looked around -- ground cover not very high at all -- and no deer carcass visible. Deer probably limped quite a ways before it laid down.

It may survive. Lots of rain in that area -- rainfall almost every day so much so locals sense appocolypse coming it is so out of character for that area of country this time of year -- so lush green grass is everywhere. Deer won't have far to go for food and water.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:26 PM
02-996ttx50
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i empathize with you, and had a similar event with far less consequences. i had just bought my 996 tt ..and one friday perfect spring LA day a block from home in the hwd hills, a deer that was actually born in my yard ( i live on an acre of deer sanctuary above mulholland drive if anyone's familiar? )..and it jumped out in front of me on M'holland and rolled OVER the hood of my car, causing ( get this! 150.00 dent which my BMW body shop guy did for me in a couple of hours! ) and for which i tipped him with a 100 dollar handshake,.. no doubt.

NO paint damage! as the deer had landed on top of the clear bra which i just had applied ( ripped off by dealer, i should say for 1600.00$!! ), and other than a slight ripple ding in the right frt 1/4 panel, is the ONLY damage that i sustained. the deer dazed and shaken ( as was I.. freaking to imagine what the damage was gonna be before i pulled over to inspect!!)..just ran down the hill..as i shook my head in wonder and thanked the sky and anyone one else! up there i could think of...

and talk about LUCKY!? wow.

sorry to hear of your misfortune. some tv star guy mathew something or other hit one up here couple years ago and totalled his Cab, i saw it on the way down the hill and heard it on local news. but we know he was no real "driver", more like a tool, tooling in a cab. ha...

deer are NOT to be messed with. as you know..

Quick Reply: Update on mule deer hit with 03 Turbo....Car is...