Sponsored by:

broke down and bought the warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 01:18 PM
pellapat
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke down and bought the warranty

Well i just was having a hard time sleeping with the thought of paying 25 for a new motor.

I bought the fidelty 3/36 with 100 deductable for 3699.00

The great news is that i will drive the car and sell it in June 2012 with 86000 miles

The bad news is I am out 3699.00 plus 300 for a ppi at the porsche shop and i still have to spend 1000 on a few seals and an oil gauge.

well here is to 3 years of good sleep.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:43 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Does it cover you if you go to DE's?
Old 07-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil gauge? Are you getting a "fluttering" oil pressure reading? A common cause is the oil pressure sensor.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:34 PM
pellapat
Intermediate

better check on the sensor and what is a DE
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pellapat
... and what is a DE
Driver Education.

The Slipper Slope...Abandon All Faith Ye Who Enter.....The Point of No Return....Be afraid, be VERY afraid.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:29 AM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pellapat

The great news is that i will drive the car and sell it in June 2012 with 86000 miles
Actually the bad news is any modification you do, from a changed exhaust, to a air intake to (god forbid) a "Flash" will void your aftermarket 'mechanical breakdown insurance" (aka extended warranty).

Good if you never mod, false promise if you want to mod...

A
Old 07-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure that's true unless the warranty is directly from Porsche, but something the OP should check on and consider along with his plans for the car.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:55 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Just curious.

I am considering an "after manufacturers" warranty but would like to go to drivers ed.

I have read that some of them will void the coverage not just at the track but if you have gone to the track and develop a problem later.

Speak of a slippery slope.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

You not only have to consider the language of the aftermarket warranty, but also the language in your car insurance policy.

There are a few "reliable" aftermarket warranty folks out there, but there are also a lot who have packed up and left the customers standing there with worthless warranties when the company has to pay out for too many engines, trannies or whatever. There are some threads on these forums that deal with the grief encountered by the guys who bought these warranties and find out about the small print, major exclusionary language, or simply refusals to cover the problem citing you violated some hidden provision.

Adjusters are in the business of denying claims, not paying them. Their primary allegiance is to the company's accounts reveivable, not paying out money your claim. You can bet that their first order of business is to look for an out...then finding none, having to pay for the problem.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:25 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Not sure that's true unless the warranty is directly from Porsche, but something the OP should check on and consider along with his plans for the car.
I have NEVER seen an aftermarket warranty that allows mods without restrictions.

Most exclude damage that MAY have been due to mods- and anything that tweaks power will (on paper) exclude coverage of engine failure.

SOME, and a good many, actually have language that flat out denies coverage if there are ANY mods! (Irrespective of causality)

People almost NEVER read and understand the actual contract- they listen to the salesman over the phone, they read the website, or they read the glossy brochure- but 1 out of 1000 asks for the underlying contract prior to buying. Then, 2 years later, they blame the company for not covering something....

My cynical 2 cents.

A
Old 07-07-2009, 02:10 PM
lexpro
Intermediate

1. Get a copy of the policy and read it before paying. If you don't understand it, consider offering to pay your regular ins. agent to read and advise or retain a lawyer ($$). Very unlikely that a regular extended warranty will cover damages caused by DE or anything that can be attributed to a modification. I've read many of these policies and that is my experience.
2. Note that even if you ask questions of the agent of the ins co offering the extended warranty, and you have the answer in writing, almost certainly the language of the policy will control despite whatever the agent has said in that answer.
3. Bottom line, if a claim is not clearly within the coverage of the policy it will likely be denied.
4. In a dispute with the ins co, unless you are willing to foot the bill for litigation, you are effectively stuck. The ins cos understand this well.
Lex
Old 07-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Obviously Lex has some experience in this arena....good advice, and logical issues presented.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:15 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lexpro
1. Get a copy of the policy and read it before paying. If you don't understand it, consider offering to pay your regular ins. agent to read and advise or retain a lawyer ($$). Very unlikely that a regular extended warranty will cover damages caused by DE or anything that can be attributed to a modification. I've read many of these policies and that is my experience.
2. Note that even if you ask questions of the agent of the ins co offering the extended warranty, and you have the answer in writing, almost certainly the language of the policy will control despite whatever the agent has said in that answer.
3. Bottom line, if a claim is not clearly within the coverage of the policy it will likely be denied.
4. In a dispute with the ins co, unless you are willing to foot the bill for litigation, you are effectively stuck. The ins cos understand this well.
Lex
Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Especially #2.

If I may amplify on #1: The "POLICY" and not the flier, or description of coverage, or glossy brochure. You'd be surprised how hard it is to actually get one out of these companies to review....
Old 07-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I think what's coming thru loud and clear from Lex and Adam....is you can't trust what the warranty agent is telling you. It's up to you to go thru the fine print and make sure of what you're getting into. Sort of like the Army recruiter who promises that you'll be stationed to Hickam Field in Hawaii as the R and R director....then you end up in Iraq messing with IED's.....and no, in spite of what they might tell you....those are NOT IUD's.

Quick Reply: broke down and bought the warranty