Sponsored by:

PCCBs on a DD

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM
nj911skr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCBs on a DD

Currently looking at a 2003 X50 with PCCBs. I believe from other posts that based on the year these are Gen I?? Have there been problems with the Gen I vs the Gen II?

Also, what is the general consensus for PCCBs on a daily driver? (street only - I don't plan on tracking the car).

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Get a Priuis was the advice I received when asked same question on Cayman ...

Originally Posted by nj911skr
Currently looking at a 2003 X50 with PCCBs. I believe from other posts that based on the year these are Gen I?? Have there been problems with the Gen I vs the Gen II?

Also, what is the general consensus for PCCBs on a daily driver? (street only - I don't plan on tracking the car).

Thanks in advance.
forum.

I toyed with getting an 08 Cayman S with PCCB brakes for a daily driver, touring machine, but car gone before I could get money together. (Was waiting for insurance settlement.)

Tech told me PCCBs a nice feature. Lighter in weight. Car will accelerate, brake better, and suspension will work better and probably last longer since it has less unsprung weight to counter.

Said brakes should last 100K miles. Told him that's not too good to hear since my current car at the time was a Boxster with over 220K miles and even though I've done the brakes several times now (pads and rotors) I've spent no where near what PCCB brakes would cost.

Told him I managed 100K on original rotors. He said then with PCCBs and my driving the brakes would last 500K miles.

There's a good coverage on PCCBs in a current issue of 911 and Porsche World. UK published mag. Check your local bookstore chain's periodicals rack.

With PCCBs you have to be very careful or whomever's working on car has to be very careful when removing wheels or installing wheels not to even bump the rotor.

Even if nothing chips off it is possible to crack the rotor and the result is it can fail later.

Unlikely but road debris presents a risk. A rock or something can hit the rotor. Unlikely, sure, but not impossible. Twice now I've had something bounce around and end up between rotor and metal splash guard. The risk is there.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default I'll add if you're unable to find mag/article I referred to email me..

Thanks in advance.
with a fax number and I'll fax copy of article to you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Default Article on PCCB in Total 911, issue 48. Can't find a month/year anywhere...

Thanks in advance.
on/in magazine. It is a 2009 issue cause page in rear of mag has ad for the May 2009 issue due out soon. UK mag so here in USA magazines are one month behind. I get May in June and so on..

PCCB brakes part 2 in next month's issue which I don't have yet.

Check out www.total911.com for more info in magazine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO, Porsche PCCB brakes are only good for a DD. Track use has shown that they don't hold up to track use. I've read some new GT2 owner burned up his rotors in 2 or 3 days at the track. To me, that brake design is a failure. As a track bred and inspired braking system, it should never have been sold to the public as an expensive performance system. It is a long wearing system for street use only.

Last edited by Land Jet; 06-21-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:36 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Quite a bit of the issues with PCCBs have to do with the way you drive/brake. I have the Gen II PCCBs on my cabriolet. I know that they will go a long way before I have to spend any real money on brake maintenance. (I have nearly 38,000 miles so far and still have mucho orginal brake pads left!) The nice thing about them for track work is that you can really brake late and the unsprung weight changes the handling characteristics considerably. As you no doubt can tell, I'm a big fan of PCCBs,--but have heard many horror tales about Gen I ceramics.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:45 AM
nj911skr
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info! I guess the result is that PCCBs are a nice option for a daily driver TT.

When/if the PCCBs go in the next 100k-500k miles then they can be replaced with a big brake kit for a lot less $$$.

Quick Reply: PCCBs on a DD